This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,805 Users
  • 2,269,649 Discussions
  • 7,916,821 Comments

Discussions

Select or pin favourite files and / or directories in file manager?

Heike
Heike Member Posts: 5 Blue Ribbon

I reuse several files day by day. is there a way to mark an pin them as my favourite files?

the more files I open on a workday, my favourite files disappear from the list of recently openend files. to open them again I either have drag an drop them again from windows explorer or navigate through the tree navigator. having long paths it is annoying.

Tagged:

Answers

• User_2DKLA
    User_2DKLA Member Posts: 76 Blue Ribbon

FWIW: this will certainly not answer your question (in brief: I'm not aware of such a feature), but I do have a vast collection of SQL worksheets, some of which I reuse very frequently...

And all I do is just leave them open.

Over a couple of weeks, I end up having dozens of opened tabs, but in practice this is not a big problem: it doesn't slow SQL Developer startup noticeably, and the Show Open Documents List menu (*) is very fast, lexicographically sorted, easy to use, and it supports as many documents as can fit in your screen, so it's easy to find a document that you know should be there, if the corresponding tab is not directly in sight on the toolbar.

(*) That's the name of the menu that opens if you click on the downward triangle on the right end of the toolbar.

And of course I use Ctrl+Tab to switch between the most recently-used tabs.

And finally, the Local History feature is enabled which (partly) removes the fear of inadvertently persisting momentary changes to some useful worksheet... It's not as bullet-proof as a version-control system—in particular, the history retention period and the number of revisions are limited—but it helps.

I do this for SQL worksheets containing collections of queries that I run often, and occasionally modify, changing a literal here, commenting out a condition there, etc.

There are other documents that I don't want to change in any way, because they are part of manual operating procedures, and the "documented procedure" (actually, the SQL worksheets that stand for it) should stay as is, even though the actual operations may occasionally vary. These I will close immediately, and reopen only when necessary. (I have fewer of these, and though I use them regularly, it's definitely not daily.)

With all this, I only ever deal with the file requester for saving new SQL worksheets (File -> Save, File -> Save As...), never to open them: if a document happens not to be already open—sometimes I close tabs inadvertently—I will find it in the Windows Explorer and simply open it by drag and drop. And because file names and directory paths are persisted, SQL Developer "remembers" the most-recently used directories, which reduces navigating in directory trees considerably.

Additionally, I always have one dedicated Windows Explorer window pre-positioned on each of the most important directories that I use daily, up to 5-6 in total, always at the same place on the Desktop, and that discipline also reduces navigation considerably, as I don't have to switch back and forth between directories often. I don't want to navigate much in directory trees in SQL Developer, and I don't want to do it in Windows either, nor in any tool in fact. Everything frequently used must be near at hand, if possible.

That way, I don't think I would need pins to retrieve my most-frequently used SQL worksheets. Sure my SQL Developer gets a bit messy over time, eventually with dozens of opened tabs, but with Ctrl+Tab plus the Show Open Documents List menu, I quickly find the tabs that I use the most.

(Actually, I will review the list of open documents when the number of columns in the Show Open Documents List menu gets over 3. At that stage, obviously there are plenty of unused files in the list, and a session of review-close-cleanup-the-menu is needed. BTW, there's a very handy close button for each entry in the menu, if you hover the mouse on the right end of the menu entry.)

That said, the idea is interesting.

Though I know that if I had such a feature, I might want to pin document after document, and finally end-up with a long and messy list of pinned files... (And soon someone would request a feature enabling to sort / categorize / colorize the pins.)

Regards,