Forum Stats

• 3,875,898 Users
  • 2,266,987 Discussions
  • 7,912,374 Comments

Discussions

FSAL and Java?

dsscott
dsscott Member Posts: 180 Blue Ribbon

We use government issued PCs to access our Forms & Reports 12c application and they are restricting installations of Java. Would it be possible to build a FSAL folder that contains a local version of Java like Sqldeveloper does so that Java doesn't need to be installed on the PC?

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,493 Employee
    edited Nov 21, 2022 4:05PM

You can easily do that yourself. You have numerous options for doing it. Which option you choose will depend on a variety of factors.

If you want to use Java 8, download Java 8 Server JRE. This download is a zip file rather than an installable. Simply extract its contents to the directory you desire then when you need to run FSAL set PATH to include this Java’s \bin directory. This option should work for most use cases. However, because this distribution is intended for server side, some custom java beans may not work with it, although such cases should be rare.

If you want to use Java 11 or newer, you can take advantage of two new tools; jdeps and jpackage. These tools can be used to help you create your own JRE package. A significant advantage of this approach is that the resulting JRE may be significantly smaller than the full installation set. Also, with these tools you can create a drop in set or an installation package, whichever you prefer.

If you are using Forms 12.2.1.4 and want something newer than Java 8, I recommend using the latest Java 17 both because it has the latest updates and the mentioned tooling is improved over earlier releases.

Because the suggestions above have nothing directly to do with Forms, you will need to review the Java documentation for details on how to use the tools mentioned.

EDITED:

The Java tools that would be helpful are: jdeps, jpackage, and jlink

I forgot to mention jlink previously.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Frank Hoffmann
    Frank Hoffmann Member Posts: 825 Gold Badge
    edited Nov 26, 2022 6:13AM

You can create a MSI with the files Mike mentioned and let your local administrators deploy it to the clients. JRE, FSAL (Unix/Windows), starticons

I am working for a government customer too - out MSI also installs some Starting icons so the Forms application looks like all the other Apps and the user can not change the installation.

The client PCs have quite often other Java Installations - so I would get into conflict with them.

Frank