• 3,814,863 Users
  • 2,258,921 Discussions
  • 7,892,882 Comments

Discussions

Upgrade 8i to Express Edition 10g?!

656701 Member Posts: 9
edited Sep 1, 2008 4:00AM in Database Upgrade
Hello,

I have a Oracle 8i database that is being used by our company. I need to set up another server. I want to download Oracle Express 10g and then import data form Oracle 8i to the express edition.

As I know Microsoft SQL Server very well, but only new to Oracle, I wanted to make sure this is possible.

1) Can data form 8i to moved to 10g Express Edition?

2) How do I move the data? In SQL Server, I would do a back up and then restore to the new server. Is that the same with Oracle.

3) Does anyone know of a good tutorial website on how to create a backup from one server and then load it into another server?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• JustinCave
    JustinCave Member Posts: 30,293 Gold Crown
    First off, are you certain that the database fits the limitations of the express edition (i.e. no more than 4 GB of user data, no more than 1 GB of RAM, 1 processor)? There are plenty of 8i databases that would require more hard drive space, more RAM, and/or more processors than that.

Assuming you can move to the express edition, the simplest solution is probably to do an export from the 8i database and an import into the new database. What version of 8i do you have? 8i is a marketing label that may refer to 8.1.5.x, 8.1.6.x, and 8.1.7.x databases, and the procedure will differ based on the source database version.

Justin
    Justin,

Thanks for responding.

I believe the version is 8.0.6.0.0. That is what I see when I go into SQL Plus. It says Release 8.0.6.0.0.

I checked the hard drive space and it is 400 mb. So I should be good there.

Thanks again.
    Justin,

I should say that I am looking to install Oracle Express on a Windows XP Professional box. It already has Microsoft SQL Server 2005 loaded (if that makes a difference).
  • JustinCave
    Just to be clear, when you fire up SQL*Plus and connect to a database, both the version of SQL*Plus and the version of the Oracle database are displayed. So the following snippet shows that I used a 10.2.0.1 version of SQL*Plus to connect to an 11.1.0.6 database.
    SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sat Aug 30 17:04:45 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
    If you really are using an 8.0.6 database (which isn't even 8i, by the way, it's 8.0), you would have to do a schema-level export from the 8.0.6 database and then import the dump file into your 10g XE database.

Justin
    Justin,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I logged in again and the connected portion says Oracle Server 8.1.7.0.0.

Now, again, I don't know Oracle. I usually work with Microsoft SQL Server.

How do you do an export?

I see DBA studio and SQL Plus. Do I issue a export command from either one of these?

Thanks.
  • JustinCave
    Cool, thanks for that info.

The Oracle export and import utilities are command-line utilities, so you'll run them from the DOS prompt (I'm assuming that you're using Windows since you're a SQL Server person). There are examples of using the export and import utilities (exp.exe and imp.exe on Windows) in the Utilities manual.

For the export, you'll want to follow the [example export session in user mode|http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76955/ch01.htm#17424] and the [example import of tables from one user to another|http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76955/ch02.htm#33245] in the Oracle documentation. Note that if you're going to use the same user on both the 8.1.7 database and the 10.2 XE database, you can omit the FROMUSER and TOUSER parameters on your import.

Note that you'll need to use the 8.1.7 export utility to generate the dump file, the 10g import utility will be able to read an older dump file. The easiest way to do this is generally to log in to the database server itself and run the export utility there to ensure that you've got the right version.

Justin
  • Mike Dietrich-Oracle
    Mike Dietrich-Oracle Member Posts: 217 Employee
    Hi there,

just to add this info here:
    There's no supported way of upgrading a 8.1.7 Standard/Enterprise Edition database to become a 10.2 XE (Express Edition).
    The only way would be, just as Justin mentioned already, export/import.

A general rule for transporting data from one database to another with export/import always is:
    Use the export of the lowest used release (in your case the 8.1.7 "exp").
    Use the import of the target release (in your case XE's 10.2 "imp").

Normally you would do a full database export/import as user SYSTEM (never SYS or INTERNAL).
    But in your case XE has a very unique dictionary design not supporting everything your 8.1.7 database has. But having APEX (Application Express) as a admin interface.
    So you'd (as Justin also mentioned already) transport your user data by exporting and importing user schemas.

Kind regards
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.