• 2,258,925 Discussions
  • 7,892,883 Comments

Discussions

Upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2

sddc
sddc Member Posts: 60
edited Sep 8, 2008 8:21AM in APEX Discussions
Hello,

I have apex 3.1.1 installed and I would like to upgrade to 3.1.2.
Unfortunately I don't have access to Metalink to get the patchset. The full installation available on OTN seems to not work with release 3.1.1 of apex.
Does someone know if it is possible to upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 with the full installation package and how to do?

Thanks for your answers,

Sebastien
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Yawei Zhang
    Yawei Zhang Member Posts: 507 Bronze Badge
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

I was using 3.1.0 , and just upgraded to 3.1.2 with the following two methods:(no access to Metalink)

1. before I wanted to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1, but if just run the run script in the full installation package, it went wrong, conflicts with the Flows_030100 schema, because it is not a final upgrade, the schema name kept unchanged.

I checked with someone on this forum, they said I need to delete the Flows schema and then run the script.

I am a little of doubt about that first. so.

My apex is based on 10gXE in one system

1. I disinstalled the whole database of 10gXe and then reinstalled it , and then upgrade with from apex 2 to 3.1.2.
    others are as decribed on the installtion guide.

My db is very small by the way.

2. My another computer is based on 10g enterprise edtion and http server.
    I first disinstalled the FLOWS_030100 schema as login as sys, then under sqlplus > drop user flows_030100 ( no need to drop the apex_public_user and flows_files schema)

and then run the the install file as decribed on the installation guide.

and then, it is done, you even don't need to copy the image directory again, becuase it is unchanged.

And the scond method saves a lot of time and energy.

----------------------------------------------

So , just drop the current user FLOWS_030100 and then follow the installation guide,

Good luck!!

Answers

• peter_raganitsch
    peter_raganitsch Member Posts: 1,076 Silver Trophy
    Hi Sebastien,

if you don't have access to metalink you'll have to uninstall Apex 3.1.1 first, then you can install apex 3.1.2 .

Peter
    peter_raganitsch
  • user_2077894
    user_2077894 Member Posts: 189 Blue Ribbon
    Sebastien-
    You cannot upgrade your 3.1.1 version to 3.1.2 with the 3.1.2 installation package. You have to use the upgrade patch from metalink.

Dan
  • Yawei Zhang
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

I was using 3.1.0 , and just upgraded to 3.1.2 with the following two methods:(no access to Metalink)

1. before I wanted to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1, but if just run the run script in the full installation package, it went wrong, conflicts with the Flows_030100 schema, because it is not a final upgrade, the schema name kept unchanged.

I checked with someone on this forum, they said I need to delete the Flows schema and then run the script.

I am a little of doubt about that first. so.

My apex is based on 10gXE in one system

1. I disinstalled the whole database of 10gXe and then reinstalled it , and then upgrade with from apex 2 to 3.1.2.
    others are as decribed on the installtion guide.

My db is very small by the way.

2. My another computer is based on 10g enterprise edtion and http server.
    I first disinstalled the FLOWS_030100 schema as login as sys, then under sqlplus > drop user flows_030100 ( no need to drop the apex_public_user and flows_files schema)

and then run the the install file as decribed on the installation guide.

and then, it is done, you even don't need to copy the image directory again, becuase it is unchanged.

And the scond method saves a lot of time and energy.

----------------------------------------------

So , just drop the current user FLOWS_030100 and then follow the installation guide,

Good luck!!
    60437 Member Posts: 16,564
    Peter,

Doing it that way will cause the user to lose all existing workspaces, applications, and other work. The user should NOT drop the FLOWS_030100 schema unless the user has export files of all work. Then 3.1.2 can be installed anew and then the workspaces, applications, and other work can be imported and installed.

It's much easier to get the patch script and run it.

Scott
  • Yawei Zhang
    Hi scott,

I am using the eport/import utilities both for the schemas and apex app.

And my db is very small, less then 5MB if imported.

Thanks anyway.

Peter
  • Yawei Zhang
    Hi Scott,

I know the best way is running the patchset, but for us with no access to Metalink, we cannot do that, we have to do it the hard way.

I am wondering since apex is a free product, why not give the update patchset downloadable from OTN?

Peter
    Yawei Zhang
  • sddc
    Thanks to all for your answers.

So I think that I will export all my work and then delete the schema FLOW... and then install apex 3.1.2.
    It would be easier with the patchset but I don't have it ...

Sebastien
    Sebastien - Just be aware that you must export your workspaces using the apex_admin application and then export every application in each workspace. Also, you may be using UI defaults that need to be exported. All of these files can then be imported and installed using apex_admin (for workspaces) and the admin interface within each workspace after you do a new installation of 3.1.2.

So make sure you have all the export files you're going to need before you drop FLOWS_030100.

Scott
  • sddc
    Thanks Scott for your answer.
    I will also make a complete backup of the database before.
    Sebastien - A complete backup of the database is a good idea of course. Just to be clear about what I'm saying you need to do: export the workspaces to files one at a time using the apex_admin interface. Then export the applications from each workspace, one at a time, using the Application Builder export wizard. Using that same export facility, export anything else you'll need also like CSS, application/workspace images, UI Defaults, ...

A full schema export (using exp) or a full database export is no substitute for the above steps.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.