• 3,827,224 Users
  • 2,260,751 Discussions
  • 7,897,187 Comments

Discussions

Error opening libraries section

562298 Member Posts: 5
edited Sep 8, 2008 5:49AM in JDeveloper and ADF
Hi all,

I had an unfortunate request to run a piece of code on jdk 1.2. Yes some of us are still forced to support ancient technology. Well to put a log story short I tried to add jdk1.2.2 to jdk list in libraries screen. It didn't really work and I had to manually add rt.jar to classpath and i18n.jar. After that I tried to compile that piece of code and all I got was a nice juicy Segmentation fault. So basically no joy.
Well I let it go and resorted to manual compilation using CLI. And I would have forgotten about it by now if the whole thing didn't have a nasty side effect. Every time I try to access library settings for any project I get following unfriendly stack trace:
<pre>
java.lang.NullPointerException
at oracle.jdeveloper.library.JLibraryManager.findJDK(JLibraryManager.java:294)
at oracle.jdeveloper.library.JLibraryManager.findJDKMatch(JLibraryManager.java:342)
at oracle.jdeveloper.library.LibraryReference.getLibrary(LibraryReference.java:81)
at oracle.jdeveloper.model.JProjectLibraries.getJDK(JProjectLibraries.java:115)
at oracle.jdeveloper.model.JProjectLibrariesPanel.reload(JProjectLibrariesPanel.java:266)
at oracle.jdeveloper.model.JProjectLibrariesPanel.onProjectPanelEntry(JProjectLibrariesPanel.java:223)
at oracle.ide.model.panels.ProjectSettingsTraversablePanel.onEntry(ProjectSettingsTraversablePanel.java:87)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel.enterTraversableImpl(MDDPanel.java:926)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel.enterTraversable(MDDPanel.java:899)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel.mav$enterTraversable(MDDPanel.java:106)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel$Tsl.updateSelectedNavigable(MDDPanel.java:1348)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel$Tsl.updateSelection(MDDPanel.java:1216)
at oracle.ide.panels.MDDPanel$Tsl.actionPerformed(MDDPanel.java:1210)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:271)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:201)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:1045)
at java.awt.Dialog$3.run(Dialog.java:1097)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1095)
at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1422)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1375)
at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:806)
at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:985)
at oracle.bali.ewt.dialog.JEWTDialog.runDialog(Unknown Source)
at oracle.bali.ewt.dialog.JEWTDialog.runDialog(Unknown Source)
at oracle.ide.dialogs.WizardLauncher.runDialog(WizardLauncher.java:55)
at oracle.ide.panels.TDialogLauncher.showDialog(TDialogLauncher.java:276)
at oracle.ide.model.panels.ProjectPropertiesDialog.showDialog(ProjectPropertiesDialog.java:223)
at oracle.ide.model.panels.ProjectPropertiesDialog.showDialog(ProjectPropertiesDialog.java:89)
at oracle.ide.model.panels.ProjectPropertiesDialog.showDialog(ProjectPropertiesDialog.java:80)
at oracle.jdeveloper.model.JProjectStructureController.handleEvent(JProjectStructureController.java:111)
at oracle.ide.controller.IdeAction.performAction(IdeAction.java:525)
at oracle.ide.controller.IdeAction$1.run(IdeAction.java:772)
at oracle.ide.controller.IdeAction.actionPerformedImpl(IdeAction.java:789)
at oracle.ide.controller.IdeAction.actionPerformed(IdeAction.java:498)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:357)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1220)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1261)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6041)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3265)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5806)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2058)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4413)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2116)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4243)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4322)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3986)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3916)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2102)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2440)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4243)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:599)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)
</pre>

Is there something I can do? Or should I resort to good ol' reinstall?

Thanks to everyone that shows interest in my woes.
Tagged:

Answers

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,461 Red Diamond
    Hi,
    you did not mention which version of JDev you are using.
    Check your libraries.xml file in the jedev/system<....> folder. My guess is that this file is corrupt.
    Depending on the version you have to look for the files below in different directories.

You can try to rename the system directory and restart JDev. The newer version recreate this directory and you get a clean libraries.xml file. Copy the clean file back to the original system folder, delete the newly created folder, and rename the original on back to its original name.

If you JDev version dosn't recreate the folder you have to do an clean install and start JDev. This will recreate the folder.

Hope this helps

Timo
    Timo Hahn
    My JDeveloper version is 10.1.3.3.0.4157 if that helps. I'll try the suggestions but doesn't that imply I will lose my libraries settings?

Thanks for help
  • Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,461 Red Diamond
    Yes, you'll loose the libraries but only temorary.
    It just as a test if the system folder causes the error.
    As mentioned before you shouldn't remove the folder but just rename it. so it's possible to retrieve the information later.

Timo
    Thanks for the effort Timo. But guess what. I started the JDeveloper today when I came to work and there was no stack trace. Everything just works. I think that is ridiculous (is there some sort of date/time based error going on or something) but I won't complain as long as I can go back to work as usual.

Thank you again for your time and effort.
  • Timo Hahn
    This happens quit often. We have to close JDev and restart it to see some changes to take affect.
    Sometimes it's a good idea to reboot the whole machine and see if the error persists.

Nevertheless you should make a copy of your system folder, in case you get a similar error in future. Then you can switch back to the working copy of the system folder and see what happens.

Timo
This discussion has been closed.