Forum Stats

• 3,826,581 Users
  • 2,260,667 Discussions
  • 7,897,008 Comments

Discussions

Jinitiator "Applet Started"

2»

Answers

• Let's take a step back here. We are being told that similarly configured machines ARE working. So, we have to make the assumption that the software version CAN work - so you might want to hold off trying too many new versions of stuff.

Where this is leading me it is you THINK the working machines and the non working machines are the same but there must be some subtle differences.

Are you 100% sure the IE, Jinit, toolbars, add on etc versions are EXACTLY the same
    Is the patching level the same
    Are the machines accessing the EXACT same middle tier (e.g. they are not be load balanced to a different middle tier).
    Are the users logging on and the privs EXACTLY the same
    Are the machines different in their "position" on the network

The other option would be to load something like sysinternals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx and see if there are any obvious sticking points on the non working machines.

Regards
    Grant
    Grant Ronald-Oracle
  • We also had the similar issue, and in those cases we did the following:
    1. Uninstall any previous version on jinit.
    2. Clear jinit cache.
    3. Clear browser cache.
    4. Deselect 'Recycle class loader' from base tab of the jinit controll panel.

We were using version 1.3.1.22 of jinit.

Hope this helps,
    Aleksandar
    618455 Member Posts: 9
    edited Oct 23, 2008 9:00AM
    Finally figured it out... I have followed all of your advice around checking for different versions and patches, and decided to do the all the updates I could find for my test machine step by step. I have no idea why I didn't think of this beforehand, but it's always the most obvious things that you miss!

- Updated IE6 to latest SP1, restarted PC, still not working.
    - Updated Windows 2000 to SP4, restarted PC, still not working.
    - Applied 71 miscellaneous Windows 2000 security updates, and it now works without issue!

So my problem is solved, but it would have been really nice to know which specific security update (or combination of updates) fixed the problem so I could roll out only those updates. So all that's left now is to update the machines!

Thanks to everyone for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

thanks, Jonathan
  • Great news - good to hear you're up and running!
  • Tony Garabedian
    Tony Garabedian Member Posts: 3,375
    Good to hear your problem got solved.

I would suggest you do a little test machine and install the misc. patches one by one, but how knows what Microsoft is doing in their patches, (I bet they do not know it either)
    And try to test with other browsers, I suggest Firefox 2, really stable.

Tony
This discussion has been closed.