Forum Stats

• 3,840,388 Users
  • 2,262,598 Discussions
  • 7,901,258 Comments

Discussions

Context Sensitive Help Linking Issues in OHW

Hi,

Two Questions.

1) A url in an application such as the following http://<host>:<port>/<context>/help/?topic=<topic id> will launch a browser window that will display only the topic contents.
When the user clicks a context sensitive link in an application, I want to launch the OHW app and automatically navigate to the topic in question. How?

2) The linking of context sensitive help using OHW is based on the topic id. If the content author modifies the topic names in there helpset then the application csh link breaks.
In some other help systems, there is a concept of mapping using keys other than the topic names themselves. A key that is less likely to be modified.
Is there a way to safeguard against this csh link breaking situation?

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• Hi,
    Two Questions.
    1) A url in an application such as the following http://<host>:<port>/<context>/help/?topic=<topic id> will launch a browser window that will display only the topic contents.
    When the user clicks a context sensitive link in an application, I want to launch the OHW app and automatically navigate to the topic in question. How?
    Unfortunately, this is not currently possible, although a fix is planned for a future release. I don't have a date to give you for this yet. You can launch OHW directly to the TOC, of course, but that doesn't get you to the topic.
    2) The linking of context sensitive help using OHW is based on the topic id. If the content author modifies the topic names in there helpset then the application csh link breaks.
    In some other help systems, there is a concept of mapping using keys other than the topic names themselves. A key that is less likely to be modified.
    Is there a way to safeguard against this csh link breaking situation?
    I don't think I quite understand this question. The purpose of the topic ids is exactly for the mapping you are talking about.

For example, in this map file:

<map version="1.0">
    <mapID target="topic_1" url="file_1.html" />
    <mapID target="topic_2" url="file_2.html" />
    </map>

...the values of the "target" attributes (which are used by context-sensitive help) can remain unchanged even if the values of the "url" attributes (which identify the files themselves) change.

Are you are using an authoring tool that generates the topic IDs by simply copying the file names?

-Ben
    Oracle Help team
    356164 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Ben,

The content authoring tool being used is RoboHelp HTML.
    On closer inspection the product does map the targets correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Adam
This discussion has been closed.