• 3,758,149 Users
  • 2,251,344 Discussions
  • 7,870,066 Comments

Discussions

Oracle 11g new install - unable to login

Answers

108305 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for posting this!

I had exactly the same problem (and was able to log in with SYS and my default install password).
    712369 Member Posts: 3
    Having same problem, still can't log in. Why doesn't the install give you an ID to log in with? All it does is ask you for a password, not associated w/ any login ID. Very confusing. And people wonder why everyone's going SQL Server!
    721111 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    how can i get the installation executable for enterprise edition 11g. can i find just the compressed setup.exe and when that is executed ,it extract itself and create a database? can this be done?.
    835330 Member Posts: 1
    edited Jan 29, 2011 9:13PM
    Hi,
    I am very new to Oracle.
    I read this thread but getting more confused.

I completed installation of "Oracle 11g R2" on windows vista platform successfully.
    During install, installer asked for default password to use, which I entered.
    Then it asked if I wish for it to create a default database and I choose yes to that option so it created a sample database for me (its name = edm).
    Now my question is how do I login to this database using SQLPLUS?

1) What will be my user name to login?? Admin, or admin, or root or sysadmin?
    This is so confusing - other database installer "clearly" specifies the username for the database !
    Can anyone tell what should be my next step?

My requirement is very simple - I just need to create a database, then a database-user so that I can connect to it using JDBC.
    Can anyone suggest the simplest steps to achieve this in "Oracle 11g r2" ?

Thanks in advance.

=======================
    DON'T WORRY FOUND THE SOLUTION.

I have to first create/allocate a tablespace (as sysdba)
    Then create an user and GRANT all necessary permissions to that tabe space (as sysdba)
    Then create few tables in that table space
    Then login that user and access tables.

Oracle has so million no. of tutorials but none of those are really useful for the beginners.

Edited by: user8828023 on Jan 29, 2011 4:08 PM

Edited by: user8828023 on Jan 29, 2011 4:10 PM

Edited by: user8828023 on Jan 29, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Philippe Florent
    Philippe Florent Member Posts: 667 Silver Badge
    edited Jan 29, 2011 9:43PM
    Hi,
    Oracle Database is a good product even if the first approach can seem a bit frustrating. In this case I think you just miss the information though : the default users are specified in some screen at install time.
    I suggest you try :
    sqlplus system/password_you_chose 
    or
    sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
    Best regards
    Phil
  • I have a similar problem. I just installed 11gr2.02. I am able to log in to sys through sqlplus with the password I created during install, but when I try to log in to Enterprise Manager with the same user password it gives me an authentication error. I specified "as sysdba" in both cases.
    836896 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    same problem,
    no answer?
    Georg
    837048 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem; the installer prompts you for a password but gives no indication as to what username to use when logging into Enterprise Manager for the first time. Seems like a major oversight, doesn't it? Anyway, I stumbled upon the answer just a few minutes ago. Not sure why this has proved so difficult to succinctly answer in this thread until now, but here is what worked for me:

User Name: SYS
    Password: <the password you entered during the installation process>
    Connect As: SYSDBA

Hope this helps. This is one of many items I've come across lately (as I try to learn Oracle 11g and OBIEE) that, IMO, is much more difficult than it needs to be.

Chris
    856500 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much Chris, I found this information very helpful and was able to access Enterprise Manager for Oracle 11g, however I am still unable to access SQL Plus, I have tried all the suggestions in the thread and no luck so far. I am prompted to enter a username and password and the password I entered during setup has not work however it did work to access Enterprise Manager.

Thanks for your help.

TechyM
  • EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,459 Gold Crown
    853497 wrote:
    Thank you so much Chris, I found this information very helpful and was able to access Enterprise Manager for Oracle 11g, however I am still unable to access SQL Plus, I have tried all the suggestions in the thread and no luck so far. I am prompted to enter a username and password and the password I entered during setup has not work however it did work to access Enterprise Manager.

Thanks for your help.

TechyM
    It is surprisingly difficult to debug that which cannot be seen. Please open a command prompt and attempt to connect with sqlplus. Then use the handy "copy" capability to copy the entire session and paste that into your next post here.
This discussion has been closed.