• 7,870,070 Comments

Discussions

Oracle 11g new install - unable to login

13»

Answers

861312 Member Posts: 1
    The simple answer to your question is:

SYSMAN

the password would be what you specified during installation.

I hope this helps
    Sam
    876041 Member Posts: 1
    I faced the problem .. i was able to logib as scott/[email protected] .. , remember " ORCL1" is the name that i and anyone could mistakenly give in net configuratuin assistant . my actual SID name is "ORCL" .

but i could not login as sys or system.

it coccured to me that it is sytem authentication problem though i am logged in as "Administrator' in my laptop.
    i checked user accounts .. i m being notified as "administrator' .
    then i rember that when installing oracle .. one option came to me " changing password" for accounts of diff users ..
    i remember doing some changes in that but it was all uniform i.e. the password i m using to logon as "scott".
    it baffelled me why i am able to login as "scott/[email protected]' but not as "sys"/'system'.

then i tried the following ..
    create a new admin account in windows as "sas" for the computer.
    switich user ..login as "sas' with admin privilrge .
    start oracle services .. i.e . "listener" and "ORCL" SID. go to admin services in windows . strt both these services .
    login as system/"(password which u gave during installation")@connect string ( in my case it is ORCL1.
    logged in successfully.
    try to connect as sys as sysdba with the same "Password" and "connect string ' . it will give error .
    again reconnect as system user.
    alter user SYS modify password *****
    try to connect as sys with the new password .. and connect string.
    get connected ...
    quit SQL .
    quit windows as the new user .
    login as old user i.e. "ADMIn " or what ever user u were during installation .
    start the oracle services i.e. listener and SID .
    login as scott/[email protected]
    then login as sys/[email protected] ..
    success.

Moral of the story .. " It is accidental or some discrepancy " between authentication synchronization between "Windows OS" and Oracle 'Software' .. accidentally some parametrs or orcle files/windows files get changed .
    still if u have the windows admin facility without going through hell i.e. " changing password files , reading thousands of responses and trying them " , de installing and re installing oracle .. try this .. it should work most of the times .. if u have valid windows admin "privilege" when installing Oracle.
  • sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    873038 wrote:
    I faced the problem .. i was able to logib as scott/[email protected] .. , remember " ORCL1" is the name that i and anyone could mistakenly give in net configuratuin assistant . my actual SID name is "ORCL" .

it coccured to me that it is sytem authentication problem though i am logged in as "Administrator' in my laptop.
    then i rember that when installing oracle .. one option came to me " changing password" for accounts of diff users ..
    i remember doing some changes in that but it was all uniform i.e. the password i m using to logon as "scott".
    it baffelled me why i am able to login as "scott/[email protected]' but not as "sys"/'system'.

start oracle services .. i.e . "listener" and "ORCL" SID. go to admin services in windows . strt both these services .
    login as system/"(password which u gave during installation")@connect string ( in my case it is ORCL1.
    logged in successfully.
    try to connect as sys as sysdba with the same "Password" and "connect string ' . it will give error .
    get connected ...
    quit SQL .
    success.

Moral of the story .. " It is accidental or some discrepancy " between authentication synchronization between "Windows OS" and Oracle 'Software' .. accidentally some parametrs or orcle files/windows files get changed .
    still if u have the windows admin facility without going through hell i.e. " changing password files , reading thousands of responses and trying them " , de installing and re installing oracle .. try this .. it should work most of the times .. if u have valid windows admin "privilege" when installing Oracle.
    {quote:title=873038 wrote:}{quote}

logged in successfully.
    get connected ...
    quit SQL .
    success.

below works for me when logged onto OS as user "oracle"
    sqlplus
    / as sysdba
    876857 Member Posts: 37
    Had the exact same problem, thanks for the instructions Chris, using the SYS as caps worked.
  • RizwanWangde
    RizwanWangde Member Posts: 95
    user6100733 wrote:
    I used the install executable for Oracle 11g, at one point it asked me for a default password to use, I typed one in, had to type it in twice (two different boxes, one for the password, one for verification)
    I just tried your sqlplus suggestion it says I have insufficient privileges.
    I just simply downloaded the installer and ran it, went through the prompts and left everything at its default.
    Unfortunately now, I can't use admin or sysdba for login user with the password I used and the manuel doesn't state that there is another password that the system has by default.
    Thanks for the continued help with this, it is greatly appreciated.
    Hi,

As you are on windows, to use "/ as sysdba" while logging in, your OS user needs to be a member of the ora_dba group.

1. Right Click on My Computer -> Manage
    2. Local Users and Groups --> Groups

Here you will see ora_dba group. Double Click on it, add your user in it.

You should be able to login using *"/ as sysdba"*.

Also, I noticed something. The password entered during installation & after installation are case sensitive.

I entered Oracle$123 while installation, but tried logging in by entering "oracle$123" -- gave me wrong password error.

Hope this helps ! if it does, please click on helpful or answered appropriately.

Regards,
    Rizwan
This discussion has been closed.