Forum Stats

• 3,770,740 Users
  • 2,253,161 Discussions
  • 7,875,572 Comments

Discussions

Real-world DB schema

661365 Member Posts: 21
edited Jan 8, 2009 4:26PM in General Database Discussions
Names of schema elements often contain acronyms (ID, US, PO, GPS etc.) and word abbreviations (Ref, Num, Dpt, Qty, Nbr), making data integration more uphill. My intuition is that abbreviations/acronyms in schemata of relational DBs have a specific nature (e.g. often non standarized and created ad hoc). I would like to verify my intuition with some real-world schema, especially one that could contain abbreviations and acronyms.

Can you recommend me some real-world schema ?

Best,
Maciej
Tagged:

Answers

181444 Member Posts: 4,022
    If I understand whay you are saying then yes since database table, index, view, and column names can be anything the creator wants within the naming scope limitation of the database then abbreviations found in such names are both likely to be site specific and in alignment with 'developer' nature inconsistent. (mild joke there)

Many abbreviations are likely to be obvious like using HIST for HISTORY but INV could be short for INVOICE, INVENTORY, INVENTION or some other application specific feature.

If you want to find an inconsistent system just look for any home grown or vendor application that gone through 10 years of modification, expansion in features, and/or upgrades. Odds are that inconsistencies abound. Though there might be some argument what qualifies as an inconsistency.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
  • Niall Litchfield
    Niall Litchfield Member Posts: 976 Bronze Badge
    MaciejG wrote:
    Names of schema elements often contain acronyms (ID, US, PO, GPS etc.) and word abbreviations (Ref, Num, Dpt, Qty, Nbr), making data integration more uphill. My intuition is that abbreviations/acronyms in schemata of relational DBs have a specific nature (e.g. often non standarized and created ad hoc). I would like to verify my intuition with some real-world schema, especially one that could contain abbreviations and acronyms.

Can you recommend me some real-world schema ?

Best,
    Maciej
    If you have an Oracle support contract the Oracle Apps schemas are available via etrm (search for that) on metalink. That'll keep you going a while. statspack has a schema as do many open source projects.

Niall Litchfield
    661365 Member Posts: 21
    Dear Niall,

I'm inside of etrm, but I cannot find Oracle Apps schema. Can you show the exact way, how to navigate and download them ?

Best regards,
    Maciej
  • Niall Litchfield
    Niall Litchfield Member Posts: 976 Bronze Badge
    Note 432769.1.

Niall Litchfield
    http://www.orawin.info/
This discussion has been closed.