Forum Stats

• 3,874,451 Users
  • 2,266,734 Discussions
  • 7,911,852 Comments

Discussions

Oracle OFT (etester) - VBA support

647604 Member Posts: 2
edited Jun 5, 2009 1:07AM in QA/Testing
Hi, was trying to fix a runtime error that I am having with OFT 8.40 (see below) and installed the 8.50 release. Supprisingly I found out that there is no VBA support in the 8.50 release. From the 8.50 release notes:

Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) - Microsoft’s Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is no longer available in Oracle Application Testing Suite as Microsoft has announced the discontinuation of this technology. VBA and associated features can no longer be enabled in Oracle Functional Testing. However, Visual Script extensibility in Oracle Functional Testing is still available using Test Scriptlets (VBScript). Existing customers that require VBA support can continue to use ATS 8.4 or 8.3 under Oracle's Lifetime Support Policy.

Questions:
1) Are there going to be future patches/releases for 8.4x for bug fixes?
2) What is the easyest way to convet exisisting VBA code (we have alot of it)?
3) Would/Should it be converted to VBSciprt or OpenScript?
4) Any ideas on how to get ride of this runtime error when changing the script options?

In the 'Current Script optons' under the 'Recording > Event Recording' tree. The 'Events to Record' box is empty. Clicking OK here causes the Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set.

Thanks for any help or ideas. This seems to be the only place on the net to ask these kinds of questions.

-Don
Tagged:

Answers

645110 Member Posts: 14
    edited Jan 26, 2009 11:51AM
    Hi,
    1) Are there going to be future patches/releases for 8.4x for bug fixes?
    - It is unlikely that there will be patches or fixes for 8.4 since a newer version of the product was released.
    2) What is the easyest way to convet exisisting VBA code (we have alot of it)?
    - Since you have a lot of vba code:
    * If you are using Oracle Application Testing Suite (ATS) for functional testing my suggestion is to stay with 8.4 because there is no support of vba on 8.5.
    * If you are using ATS for load testing my suggestion is to start looking at OpenScript. You will see that script creation and maintenance is a lot easier.
    * If you have more than one team working with ATS on the same computer, some doing load testing and some doing functional testing, my suggestion is to either stay with 8.4 or get another server for using 8.5. Notice that 8.4 and 8.5 cannot co-exist on the same Operating System installation (they can co-exist on the same computer by using server virtualization).

I'm going to assume that you are using ATS for functional testing because you mentioned OFT and not ATS, and because normaly you won't have much vba code when creating load testing scripts. OpenScript is an enhancement of what is AFT(formerly eTester) right now. OpenScript is based on Java programming language. You won't be able to convert the existing vba code because the programming objects that exists in ATF doesn't exists in OpenScript. The regression and functional testing capabilities are not implemented in OpenScript yet. Probably Oracle would release it this year or the next one. Probably you won't need as much code as it is required right now.
    3) Would/Should it be converted to VBSciprt or OpenScript?
    - As the release notes says, you have 2 alternatives: Use ATS 8.5 without vba but with vbscript or use ATS 8.4 or 8.3. My suggestion is to keep 8.4 before converting all the vba code to vbscript. I don't know which bug corrections were done in ATS 8.5, still, in my understanding there is no added benefit in upgrading from 8.4 to 8.5 if you are going to use ATS for regression and functional testing. The benefits of 8.5 can be notably seen if you use OpenScript for a load testing project.
    4) Any ideas on how to get ride of this runtime error when changing the script options?
    - The runtime error is somehow common, mostly because of a Windows OS problem. You can fix the runtime error by re-installing ATS 8.4. Since you already installed 8.5, uninstall 8.5 then install 8.4. Ensure that you are an administrator in the computer before installing the app or get help from someone with administrative privileges for the installation.

"This seems to be the only place on the net to ask these kinds of questions."
    - This may be the only place where you can read and post public questions. You can also obtain help from Oracle support.

The comments mentioned here are my opinion as an experienced user of the tools and not necessarily express the opinion of Oracle or other consultants on the field.

Regards,
    Zuriel
    Oracle ATS Consultant
    647604 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great response!

Sound like we will stick with 8.40 for our existing tests and possibly use the 8.50 for future tests. Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations.

-Don
    702192 Member Posts: 15
    Hi

i am using eteser 8.5......I need some clarifications on etester 8.5

In etester 8.5 there is no support for VBA scripting, which is there in 8.4 version...
    in 8.5 we can do some scripting using Test Scriptlets....

1)Can we write functions and call them in scriptlets?
    2)Can we auotmate a webapplication using etester 8.5 fully in the way we can do with etester 8.4
    ..i.e Can we do a full automaion project to test an web applicaion with etester 8.5?
    3) can we do what evere we do with vba scripting in 8.4 in etester 8.5 using scriptlets...or are there any limitations with scriptlets.

Please help
    702192 Member Posts: 15
    Hi

i am using eteser 8.5......I need some clarifications on etester 8.5

In etester 8.5 there is no support for VBA scripting, which is there in 8.4 version...
    in 8.5 we can do some scripting using Test Scriptlets....

1)Can we write functions and call them in scriptlets?
    2)Can we auotmate a webapplication using etester 8.5 fully in the way we can do with etester 8.4
    ..i.e Can we do a full automaion project to test an web applicaion with etester 8.5?
    3) can we do what evere we do with vba scripting in 8.4 in etester 8.5 using scriptlets...or are there any limitations with scriptlets.

Please help
This discussion has been closed.