• 7,869,867 Comments

Discussions

ORA-27102 SVR4 Error: 12: Not enough space

13»

Answers

• orafad
    orafad Member Posts: 8,035 Silver Trophy
    lrp wrote:
    ..So my clues from the OS documentation point to some maximum, like swap, segmentation, stack and other resources.
    I can only assume the "additional information" of -1 and 8192 are relevant numbers to those resources.

The two things that are *8192* in my environment appear to be # of file descriptors and stack size.
    As I tried to explain earlier: this means no more than "I (Oracle) asked to read/write 8192 bytes from the buffer but got back -1". Syscall returns number of bytes actually read/written, or -1 indicating that an error occurred.

error=27063 txt: 'SVR4 Error: 12: Not enough space
    Is this from a 32-bit Oracle server?

As the software owner user, could you verify system parameters? (prctl)

Specifically, what are your parameters settings that corresponds to shmmax and shmall?
    orafad
  • lrp
    lrp Member Posts: 85
    edited Jun 4, 2009 7:23PM
    >
    As I tried to explain earlier: this means no more than "I (Oracle) asked to read/write 8192 bytes from the buffer but got back -1". Syscall returns number of bytes actually read/written, or -1 indicating that an error occurred.
    error=27063 txt: 'SVR4 Error: 12: Not enough space
    >
    I do recall the post. Is there a man page describing that error code that I can look into further? I realize that the error number, but I didn't happen to find anywhere which stated the details behind 'errno' or return code. The man page for syscall talks about returning -1 on error, but doesn't say anything about the second return code ( unless you mean the variable errno ).

>
    Is this from a 32-bit Oracle server?
    As the software owner user, could you verify system parameters? (prctl)
    Specifically, what are your parameters settings that corresponds to shmmax and shmall?
    >
    It's Oracle 64-bit Enterprise on Solaris 10 SPARC 64-bit. I hate pasting the full text of a screendump, but since I cannot really figure which are the important pieces of info, I'll paste the results of prctl on the project that my DB is running under. (if you can narrow which params i'm looking for, i can cull the rest later in an edit). This is only for one of the db's but the idea is the same. Note that project.max-shm-memory = 16 GB, well above my oracle memory_max_size of 8GB. I'm not sure how to obtain the solaris equivalent of shmall.
    [email protected]:PROD01:/fs1> prctl -i project oraproj
    project: 100: oraproj
    NAME    PRIVILEGE       VALUE    FLAG   ACTION                       RECIPIENT
    project.max-contracts
            privileged      10.0K       -   deny                                 -
            system          2.15G     max   deny                                 -
    project.max-device-locked-memory
            privileged      1.95GB      -   deny                                 -
            system          16.0EB    max   deny                                 -
    project.max-locked-memory
    project.max-port-ids
            privileged      8.19K       -   deny                                 -
            system          65.5K     max   deny                                 -
    project.max-shm-memory
            privileged      16.0GB      -   deny                                 -          <----------
    project.max-shm-ids
            privileged        200       -   deny                                 -
            system          16.8M     max   deny                                 -
    project.max-msg-ids
            privileged        258       -   deny                                 -
    project.max-sem-ids
            privileged        200       -   deny                                 -
    project.max-crypto-memory
            privileged      7.81GB      -   deny                                 -
    project.max-tasks
    project.max-lwps
    project.cpu-cap
            system          4.29G     inf   deny                                 -
    project.cpu-shares
            privileged          1       -   none                                 -
            system          65.5K     max   none                                 -
    zone.max-swap
    zone.max-locked-memory
    zone.max-shm-memory
    zone.max-shm-ids
    zone.max-sem-ids
    zone.max-msg-ids
    zone.max-lwps
    zone.cpu-cap
            system          4.29G     inf   deny                                 -
    zone.cpu-shares
            privileged          1       -   none                                 -
    Edited by: lrp on Jun 4, 2009 4:23 PM
  • lrp1
    lrp1 Member Posts: 47
    Hello--I'm just updating the post with further information.
    There is a Nov 9 2009 SUN Blog post (http://blogs.sun.com/hippy/entry/problems_with_solaris_and_a) which mentions similar symptoms to our problem and mentions basically to either:
    a) upgrade to solaris 10 update 8 (we are at update 4)
    b) disable oracle DISM

The article appears to advise turning off only SGA_MAX_SIZE. We currently have several memory settings:
    memory_max_target                    big integer 8000M
    memory_target                        big integer 5056M
    shared_memory_address                integer     0
    sga_max_size                         big integer 8000M
    sga_target                           big integer 0
    pga_aggregate_target                 big integer 0
    If we were to disable DISM, does that mean disabling ONLY SGA_MAX_SIZE, or should we also remove the MEMORY_MAX_SIZE? If we wanted to maintain the same memory settings, would we then set memory_target to 8000M and leave SGA_TARGET/PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET completely alone?

All in all, Oracle Support still does not give us many clues beyond saying that it is an OS file-resource error, not recognizing that it is a solaris kernel memory limit.
This discussion has been closed.