Forum Stats

• 3,769,241 Users
  • 2,252,938 Discussions
  • 7,874,958 Comments

Discussions

How to stop machine name entering in v$session?

1009739 Member Posts: 17
edited Aug 2, 2013 1:07AM in SQL & PL/SQL

Hi guys,

When i am using the following tool SQL Developer, TOAD, PL/SQL Developer. I find my machine name in OSUSER in v$session.

Is there any possible way to stop these using TOAD, SQL Develope, PL/SQL Developer or is there any other tool that stop inserting machine name in OSUSER in v$session.

Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JustinCave
    JustinCave Member Posts: 30,293 Gold Crown
    Accepted Answer

Why do you want to prevent the DBA from determining what machine you are connected from?

Given that this information is coming from your client machine, it is certainly possible to hack your machine so that it reports a different name assuming you have root/ Administrator access.  But that's something that an attacker would normally want to do, not something that a normal user would want to do.  That's why we're trying to determine why you are trying to hide this information.

Justin    

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,594 Red Diamond
    edited Aug 2, 2013 12:43AM

Simple answer - no.

The machine name (and other client details) is set by the client driver. Not the client application.

BTW, why this requirement?

Billy Verreynne

I am working in ORACLE 11 g Release 2 using PL/SQL Developer Tool

Every time i am logging in i could find my machine name in OSUSER in v$session table.

So i want to stop is there any other tool or any other way to stop it

• JustinCave
    JustinCave Member Posts: 30,293 Gold Crown
    Accepted Answer

Why do you want to prevent the DBA from determining what machine you are connected from?

Given that this information is coming from your client machine, it is certainly possible to hack your machine so that it reports a different name assuming you have root/ Administrator access.  But that's something that an attacker would normally want to do, not something that a normal user would want to do.  That's why we're trying to determine why you are trying to hide this information.

Justin    

See when i am accessing via guest account it take the name into it. So i don't want to insert guest name instead it must enter my machine name or null.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,594 Red Diamond

So. What?

What is The Problem?

If you want to obfuscate what the OCI client driver reports to the server, you will need some low level hacks that are not easy and trivial. So why do you want to tackle such a hack complexity, instead of just doing your job via that database connection?

Billy Verreynne
This discussion has been closed.