• 2,260,667 Discussions
  • 7,897,008 Comments

Discussions

Oracle truncate a log like Sybase

kaitokidscs
kaitokidscs Member Posts: 34
edited Sep 4, 2013 1:59PM in General Database Discussions

Hello,

In Sybase I use "dump tran[saction] database_name with no_log" command to truncate a transaction log.

Does oracle have similar querry to this?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Answers

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond
    kaitokidscs wrote:

Hello,

In Sybase I use "dump tran[saction] database_name with no_log" command to truncate a transaction log.

Thanks a lot!!!!

post URL to Oracle documentation where "transaction log" is discussed.

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown

This makes no sense at all in the Oracle context.  Redo is extremely critical, if you lose it and need to recover, you fail big time.

Please read the concepts manual, Part V

• kaitokidscs

The issue is that the logs are too space consuming and I just need to truncate after the transactions...

• sb92075
    sb92075 Member Posts: 42,196 Blue Diamond

When you start with the wrong question, no matter how good an answer you get, it won't matter very much.

consider to actually learn about about Oracle by Reading The Fine Manual below

Contents

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    kaitokidscs wrote:

Hello,

Thanks a lot!!!!

Oracle does not have a "query" (actually, that would be a command, not a query) like that because it is not needed.  Oracle architecture is fundamentally different from any other rdbms product.  The similarities with other products begin and end with 'SELECT * FROM EMP;'

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown

You get rid of them by doing proper backups.  You are doing backups, right?  If you are not, you have valued your data at something less than $0.00.

• Aman....
    Aman.... Member Posts: 22,919 Gold Crown
    kaitokidscs wrote:

The issue is that the logs are too space consuming and I just need to truncate after the transactions...

And guess what, oracle has already sorted it out for you. You can make online redo logs to whatever size and Oracle would keep on flushing their contents with every log switch! Cool, eh? Jokes aside, don't try to compare Sybase with Oracle and Oracle with DB2 etc etc because they are all individual products and come with their own way of working. If you are using Oracle, use it in the way an Oracle database is supposed to be used!

Aman....

• kaitokidscs

Thank you! This helps a lot.

• Aman....
    Aman.... Member Posts: 22,919 Gold Crown
This discussion has been closed.