• 3,852,393 Users
  • 2,264,102 Discussions
  • 7,905,057 Comments

Discussions

IMAPInputStream cannot be cast to javax.mail.Multipart

2607680 Member Posts: 2
edited Feb 12, 2014 9:55AM in JavaMail

Hello,

wonder if anyone could suggest how to resolve this.

Environment:

windows 7

Jre 1.7.0_13

javamail 1.5

I'm having problem with a message "part". When I execute a simple java class in Eclipse , and cast "part" to multipart

Multipart mp = (Multipart) p.getContent();

but when I run the same class (same jars) from a database event (starts the same jvm) it reports :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.classCastException: com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPInputStream cannot be cast to javax.mail.Multipart at

So, when I was debugging this , I can see that when running with Eclipse , instanceof "part" is reported as Multipart, but when running from a database as InputStream.

I've read that this might be related to DataHandler ?? but I couldn't figure out how ? and what should I do to resolve it. Wonder if anyone would have some suggestions?

some snippet:

// Get system properties

Properties properties = System.getProperties();

// Get the default Session object.

Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(properties);

session.setDebug(debug);

// Get a Store object that implements the specified protocol.

Store store = session.getStore(protocol); // gmail setting

//Connect to the current host using the specified username and password.

store.connect(host, user, password);

//Create a Folder object corresponding to the given name.

Folder folder = store.getFolder(mbox);

// Open the Folder.//

folder.open(Folder.READ_WRITE);

FlagTerm ft = new FlagTerm(new Flags(Flags.Flag.SEEN), false);     

Message[] message = folder.search(ft);

for (i = 0; i < message.length; i++) {     

alert_sent = null;

java.util.Date msg_sent_date = message[i].getSentDate();

alert_sent = new java.sql.Timestamp(msg_sent_date.getTime());

alert_from = "";

alert_from = InternetAddress.toString(message[i].getFrom()); 

alert_subject = "";

alert_subject = message[i].getSubject();

content_type = "";

content_type = message[i].getContentType();             

alert_text = "";

alert_html = "";

if ( content_type.startsWith("text/") || content_type.startsWith("TEXT/") )

{ alert_text =  message[i].getContent().toString();}

else

{

alert_html = getMessageText(message[i]);

}

and in getMessageText(Part p);

Multipart mp = (Multipart) p.getContent();

Best Answer

• Bill Shannon-Oracle
    Bill Shannon-Oracle Member Posts: 5,441 Bronze Badge
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you're running your Java code "in" the database.  JavaMail depends on some configuration files to map MIME types to Java classes (e.g., "maultipart/mixed" to "javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart").  These configuration files are loaded using the ClassLoader for the application.  If the ClassLoader doesn't function properly, these configuration files won't be found.

I vaguely remember hearing about such a problem in the Oracle database.  You should contact support to find out if this is a known problem and find out if a fix is available.

As a workaround, you can try adding the following to your application:

<span class="typ">MailcapCommandMap</span><span class="pln"> mc </span><span class="pun">=</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="typ">MailcapCommandMap</span><span class="pun">)</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">CommandMap</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">getDefaultCommandMap</span><span class="pun">();</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/html;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_html"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/xml;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_xml"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/plain;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_plain"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"multipart/*;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.multipart_mixed"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"message/rfc822;; x-java-content- handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.message_rfc822"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/></span><span class="typ"></span>

Answers

• Bill Shannon-Oracle
    Bill Shannon-Oracle Member Posts: 5,441 Bronze Badge
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you're running your Java code "in" the database.  JavaMail depends on some configuration files to map MIME types to Java classes (e.g., "maultipart/mixed" to "javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart").  These configuration files are loaded using the ClassLoader for the application.  If the ClassLoader doesn't function properly, these configuration files won't be found.

I vaguely remember hearing about such a problem in the Oracle database.  You should contact support to find out if this is a known problem and find out if a fix is available.

As a workaround, you can try adding the following to your application:

<span class="typ">MailcapCommandMap</span><span class="pln"> mc </span><span class="pun">=</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="typ">MailcapCommandMap</span><span class="pun">)</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="typ">CommandMap</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">getDefaultCommandMap</span><span class="pun">();</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/html;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_html"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/xml;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_xml"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"text/plain;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_plain"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"multipart/*;; x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.multipart_mixed"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/>mc</span><span class="pun">.</span><span class="pln">addMailcap</span><span class="pun">(</span><span class="str">"message/rfc822;; x-java-content- handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.message_rfc822"</span><span class="pun">);</span><span class="pln"> <br/></span><span class="typ"></span>

2607680 Member Posts: 2

Thanks. Once I plugged your code it works like a charm. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.