• 3,837,505 Users
  • 2,262,265 Discussions
  • 7,900,308 Comments

Discussions

ODBC Driver for Windows 7 - 64 bit

2619695 Member Posts: 3
edited Mar 11, 2014 4:39PM in ODBC

Hi All,

I am having problems with using the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver in Windows 7 - 64bit system. I am using the following code in my VB script

Set myConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

myConnection.Open "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};" & "Server=xxxxxx;" & "Uid=xxxxx;" & "Pwd=xxxxx"

Set myRecord = CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")

Sql = "Select * from employees where id= '01234'"

myRecord.Open Sql, myConnection

For Each r In myRecord.Fields

MsgBox r.Name

Next

I get the following error message: "The Oracle (tm) client and networking components are not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation, You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed"

"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed"

Can you help me out on which version of Oracle client i need to install and what other settings I need to do on my Windows 7 system after the client installation.

user2728814

Best Answer

Answer ✓

HI All,

The above issue has been resolved. Since QTP is a 32 bit Application, we might need to use the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator for creating the Oracle DNS. By default the control panel shows the 64 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator. Hence we need to use the “C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe” from the Start-Run menu and open the 32 bit ODBC connection to create a Oracle DSN and then use that in the VBScript

user2728814

Answers

I tried installing "instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.4.0" and "instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.4.0" both. I ran the odbc_install.exe in command prompt as administrator and got the message "Oracle ODBC Driver is installed successfully."

I also set the environment Variable "Path" as "C:\instantclient_11_2".

But when tried to use the above VBScript to connect to the Oracle DB, i get the same error message. I am really stuck with this for past two days.

Answer ✓

HI All,

The above issue has been resolved. Since QTP is a 32 bit Application, we might need to use the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator for creating the Oracle DNS. By default the control panel shows the 64 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator. Hence we need to use the “C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe” from the Start-Run menu and open the 32 bit ODBC connection to create a Oracle DSN and then use that in the VBScript

user2728814
This discussion has been closed.