Forum Stats

• 3,815,621 Users
  • 2,259,062 Discussions
  • 7,893,186 Comments

Discussions

[4.0n & 4.1EA] control-clicking tablename or alias leads to "too many objects" warning

B.Delmée
B.Delmée Member Posts: 604 Silver Badge
edited Mar 17, 2015 5:37PM in SQL Developer

when I control-click on a tablename or alias I am getting a small popup titled "too many objects" with the following text before the details tab opens

Only 2 records will be displayed.

Please refine your search criteria.

Tagged:

Answers

• B.Delmée

Actually it seems this is happening when the system has other objects by the same name,

and SqlDeveloper does not always open the correct one when Ctrl-clicking.

e.g. I reference table "TBL1" in a select, but when ctrl-clicking it from the worksheet,

it might be SOMEOTHERUSR.TBL1 that gets displayed (similar things may happen

with Shift-F4 but there I see no easy way of knowing the schema of the displayed object)

My limited testing suggests that Ctrl-clicking appears to end up displaying the details of the object

that lives in the schema that comes first alphabetically - picking the object from the connexion's

schema (if one exists) would seem like a better default...

• What is your full sql developer version and platform?

Can you post a sample query and tell us which of the objects in it you are clicking on?

• B.Delmée
    edited Jun 6, 2014 3:19AM

I am on win7 32bits, sqldeveloper  Version 4.0.2.15

to avoid posting actual object names, I'll keep the description close to what I already explained:

Select *
    from TBL1
    order by created_at desc;

I am connected as user 'Zxyz', the query above returns content from the table TBL1 in the current schema (as it should, the db sql engine picks the correct table), but ctrl-clicking "TBL1" opens Axyz.TBL1, as user Axyz also has a table by the same name, on which I have grants.

If I prefix TBL1 with its owner, the correct one is displayed, but it is cumbersome to have to do that for all table references, and one can easily get confused by the current behaviour where sqldeveloper actually shows the details of a table which may not be the one effectively used at runtime.

Note that there are several schemas with identically-named tables (more than 2), hence I suppose the original symptom mentioned in the subject, but some more investigation led me to notice the wrong object sometimes gets displayed

• vipe5
    vipe5 Member Posts: 2
    edited Jul 8, 2014 4:14AM

A have the same issue when CTRL + left clicking on a table name.

Is there no workaround? Is this getting fixed?

There was no problem with it in 3.0.04 I was using before...

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,513 Employee

I logged a bug for this - and we should have the same logic in place for doing the popup-desc (SHIFT+F4) and the ctrl-click stuff going forward, which should make this go away.

• B.Delmée

I definitely see this behaviour on 3.1 as well, FWIW. It does not even pick the same schema as under 4.x, so perhaps an "order by" was added or something. BTW the <Shift><F4> description does not actually show which schema it uses; this would be a welcome addition. And please do not make <Ctrl><Click> invoke the popup, as this does not allow viewing data nor pinning the table description tab. Thanks.

• vipe5
    vipe5 Member Posts: 2
    edited Sep 30, 2014 1:50AM

A new version (4.03.16) was released half a month ago, but the problem persists.

• B.Delmée
    edited Dec 16, 2014 4:53AM

I am sorry to report that this bug is still present in  Version 4.1.0.17. Hope the fix will be included in the release 4.1 version.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,513 Employee

So ctrl+click gives you the warning, but DESC in 4.1 does not?

• B.Delmée
    edited Dec 16, 2014 7:57AM

Yes, exact same behaviour as in original post.And DESC worked in 4.0x, already.

This discussion has been closed.