• 3,825,050 Users
  • 2,260,461 Discussions
  • 7,896,399 Comments

Discussions

Strange Problem with Universal Theme, jQuery and APEX 5 on Windows 8.1

Denes Kubicek
Denes Kubicek Member Posts: 6,163 Bronze Crown
edited May 11, 2015 9:41AM in APEX Discussions

I have a strange problem which drives me nuts. I get it whenever I need to run some jQuery or javascipt in the new Universal Theme. A good example is this page:

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=93000:600

Whenever I click on the calendar symbol it opens and closes immediately. This happens when I click and release the mouse button fast. If I do it slowly, click on it, wait for a second and release the mouse button, it will open as expected. I did the inspection of the javascript in the debug console of firebug and I can see that every action runs twice.

On this page you can debug:

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=93000:16

pressing any of the buttons.

I did a couple of tests with some colleagues and found out that this happens only on computers with Windows 8.1 running the pages in Firefox or Google Chrome. IE works as expected.

I would ask the participants in this forum to do a test for me if they have Windows 8.1 and one of the mentioned browsers. My tests were from two different laptops I have (both Windows 8.1) and from a virtual machine also on Windows 8.1. I was able to reproduce this behavior on all three computers.

I also did the same test with apex.oracle.com and with my local installation of APEX 5.0. Both are behaving the same.

I can't reproduce this with the applications having the old template like this one:

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=31517:215

Thanks in advance.

pastedImage_2.png

Denes Kubicek

AquaNX4

Best Answer

• Anthony Rayner-Oracle
    Anthony Rayner-Oracle Member Posts: 732 Employee
    edited May 8, 2015 12:01PM Answer ✓

Brad, thanks so much for running those test.

On speaking with the main developers of Universal Theme this afternoon, we have now pinpointed what we believe to be the cause of this issue. There is code in Universal Theme which uses hammer.js, and applies some fast click logic to all links and buttons, with a few exceptions. We believe it is this code that may be causing all these issues.

Please hold fire on performing any more tests as previously requested, apologies for any time wasted on doing so. We will follow up on this thread with findings, as soon as we can.

Thanks again for all your help, thus far.

Regards,

Anthony    

Denes Kubicek

Answers

• Roadling
    Roadling Member Posts: 295 Bronze Badge
    edited May 5, 2015 12:31PM

I was able to duplicate the issue running latest version of FF on Windows 8.1 as well

Regards,

Brad

Denes Kubicek
  • AquaNX4
    AquaNX4 Member Posts: 758 Silver Badge
    edited May 5, 2015 2:25PM

This has been a crazy issue for me for at least 4 months now, and we run Windows 7 and Chrome at work.  This is def a bug....

Aqua

Denes Kubicek
  • Anthony Rayner-Oracle
    edited May 5, 2015 2:49PM

Hi Denes,

This is interesting, thanks for the details. I don't know yet what's causing this, but think it may have something to do with Windows 8.1's touch events. Will keep looking into it, in the mean time, can you also provide the following:

1. IE version where this works?
    2. Windows 8.1 exact version?

Regards,

Anthony.

• Denes Kubicek
    edited May 5, 2015 2:49PM

Thanks to both of you. That means I don't see pink elephants. The majority of tests was probably done using fancy Apple laptops and gadgets.

Denes Kubicek

AquaNX4
  • Denes Kubicek
    edited May 5, 2015 2:52PM

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for responding.

I have IE 11 and there it works. My version is Windows 8.1 with a touch screen. However AquaNX4 just confirmed the same issue on Windows 7.

Regards,

Denes Kubicek

• Anthony Rayner-Oracle
    edited May 5, 2015 2:53PM

Hi Aqua,

Just to clarify:

1. Do you mean you've been hitting this issue in a pre 5.0 version of APEX for 4 months, or in APEX 5 using EA releases?
    2. Which version of Windows are you using?
    3. Which version of Chrome?
    4. Can you also try with IE and let us know if this also works correctly with IE, and which version you have?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.    

Denes Kubicek
  • AquaNX4
    edited May 5, 2015 2:55PM

Yup.  You explained the behavior exactly as it occurs in our environment.  Right after an end-user clicks on the calendar icon, the calendar opens and closes very quickly.  However, when you click on it a second time it behaves normally, which is interesting, because the abnormality occurs only on the first click event.  Don't know what it could be, so I will leave it to the professionals...

Aqua

• Anthony Rayner-Oracle
    edited May 5, 2015 2:57PM

Hi Denes,

Thanks. Does Windows provide any greater specificity of version than 8.1? I ask, because another customer reported an issue with the IR actions menu button not working at all with Windows 8.1 and Chrome / FF, but did work in IE. They then installed a Windows updated and were thereafter unable to reproduce the issue. It's not exactly the same issue, but similar enough to warrant suspicion, hence it would be interesting to know any more specific version if possible? I will try and find out which update they installed that seemed to rectify their issue.

Regards,

Anthony    

Denes Kubicek
  • AquaNX4
    edited May 5, 2015 2:59PM

Anthony:

1:  Yes, the problem persists on 1 server we run with APEX 4.2.6

2:  Windows 7 Professional

3:  Chrome version 42

4:  I will try with IE and let you know...

Aqua

Denes Kubicek
  • Denes Kubicek
    edited May 5, 2015 3:14PM

Hello Anthony,

I have the latest Windows 8.1 Pro Updates installed on my computer. This is the information in more details

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Denes

This discussion has been closed.