• 7,897,110 Comments

Discussions

Installing an ODBC for 11g on Win 7 64 Bit Nearly Impossible

2»

Answers

• user9334236
    user9334236 Member Posts: 29
    edited Nov 17, 2015 4:51PM

I'll try that. I keep reading you needed the ODBC 32 bit tool in the WOW64 folder. I even downloaded an instant client ap into the main directory with these simple directions. Oracle really goes all out to make their products enjoyable:

• Unzip the ODBC Instant Client package, then execute the odbc_install script.
    • By default English(US) DLLs, files will be installed.
    • To install the Japanese version ODBC Driver, mention the JA option with install script.
      • C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2>  odbc_install JA
    • The ODBC install script will check for oci.dll, oraociei11.dll, orannzsbb11.dll  at present directory.  If any of these DLLs are missing, installation will fail.
    • Oracle Instant Client directory (present directory) name will be part of the driver name in registry.
      • Driver name will be "Oracle in instantclient_11_2".
    • After the installation the environment needs to be configured in the following way.
      • Add the directory to the PATH system environment variable.
        • Otherwise ODBC manager will be not able to load/find the driver.
      • Define the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point the .ora files directory for OCI.
        • This must be set for OCI to resolve the TNS name.
        • If TNS_ADMIN is not set, OCI will examine an operating system dependent set of directories to find tnsnames.ora. This search path includes looking in the directory %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin/tnsnames.ora. This is the only reason to set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable for Oracle Instant Client. If ORACLE_HOME is set when running Instant Client applications, it must be set to a directory where Instant Client exists (in this case C:\Oracle\instantclient_11_2).  If ORACLE_HOME is not set, then looks in current directory for tnsnames.ora.
      • Set any Oracle globalization variables required for your locale. See the Oracle Database 11g Globalization Support Guide for more information.
        • For example on Windows to set NLS_LANG:
          • set NLS_LANG=JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16EUC 
  • user9334236
    user9334236 Member Posts: 29
    edited Nov 19, 2015 7:21PM

OK, now this guy rules. I don't know how many pages I've navigated to with people attempting to answer this with the general consensus it doesn't work. You need to install the instant client basic and instant client odbc 64 bit and unzip to the same folder, then run them from dos

Windows 7 - ODBC for Office 2010 64 bit - MS ODBC Driver for Oracle

This discussion has been closed.