• 3,816,521 Users
  • 2,259,200 Discussions
  • 7,893,502 Comments

Discussions

Optimization of pl/sql

3128872 Member Posts: 7
edited Dec 3, 2015 1:42PM in SQL & PL/SQL

Hi All ,

This is my query it takes 30 second to process . I need to optimize it pls provide me some solution. I also heard about EXPLAIN PLAN what is that?

Select  unique api_WEEKLY.country From api_WEEKLY INNER JOIN USERPROFILE

ON api_WEEKLY.REGION  = NVL(USERPROFILE.REGION,api_WEEKLY.REGION)

AND api_WEEKLY.Category = NVL(USERPROFILE.SECTOR,api_WEEKLY.Category)

AND api_WEEKLY.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER  = NVL(USERPROFILE.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER,api_WEEKLY.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER)

AND api_WEEKLY.TDC_VAL = NVL(USERPROFILE.TDC_VAL,api_WEEKLY.TDC_VAL)

AND api_WEEKLY.PLANT  = NVL(USERPROFILE.PLANT,api_WEEKLY.PLANT)

AND api_WEEKLY.MATERIAL = NVL(USERPROFILE.MATERIAL,api_WEEKLY.MATERIAL)

AND api_WEEKLY.SUBSECTOR  = NVL(USERPROFILE.SUBSECTOR,api_WEEKLY.SUBSECTOR)

AND api_WEEKLY.COUNTRY = NVL(USERPROFILE.COUNTRY,api_WEEKLY.COUNTRY)

WHERE USERPROFILE.USER_ID = 'sheikh.a' ;

and this is my User table

profile.PNG

Tagged:

Answers

• Chris Hunt
    Chris Hunt Member Posts: 2,066 Gold Trophy
    edited Nov 26, 2015 9:58AM
    I also heard about EXPLAIN PLAN what is that?

Have you heard about Google? This was the first hit I got when I searched for "Explain Plan": Using EXPLAIN PLAN

• Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,677 Blue Diamond
    edited Nov 26, 2015 10:02AM

Your query can't use any indexes because you are applying a function (NVL) to each of the where clause predicates.  So it will be doing a full table scan.

• gaverill
    gaverill Member Posts: 390 Silver Badge
    edited Dec 1, 2015 3:24PM

What about...

alter session set optimizer_guess_op_meaning = true;

Select  unique api_WEEKLY.country From api_WEEKLY INNER JOIN USERPROFILE
                                      ON api_WEEKLY.REGION  = NVL(USERPROFILE.REGION,api_WEEKLY.REGION)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.Category = NVL(USERPROFILE.SECTOR,api_WEEKLY.Category)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER  = NVL(USERPROFILE.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER,api_WEEKLY.MRP_DRP_CONTROLLER)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.TDC_VAL = NVL(USERPROFILE.TDC_VAL,api_WEEKLY.TDC_VAL)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.PLANT  = NVL(USERPROFILE.PLANT,api_WEEKLY.PLANT)
                                        AND api_WEEKLY.MATERIAL = NVL(USERPROFILE.MATERIAL,api_WEEKLY.MATERIAL)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.SUBSECTOR  = NVL(USERPROFILE.SUBSECTOR,api_WEEKLY.SUBSECTOR)
                                      AND api_WEEKLY.COUNTRY = NVL(USERPROFILE.COUNTRY,api_WEEKLY.COUNTRY)
                                      WHERE USERPROFILE.USER_ID = 'sheikh.a' ;

no rows selected.

Elapsed Time for Script Execution: 518 msecs.

At least it's faster...

Gerard

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,804 Red Diamond
    edited Dec 2, 2015 1:22AM

What you have posted is akin to saying your car is slow, it is painted green, uses unleaded fuel, and runs on 4 tires.

In other words, nothing about WHAT is actually the problem. Going slow (in a car or a query) is a symptom at best - not a problem definition.

See - from the FAQ (link right at the top of this forum space's home page).

• Jonathan Lewis
    Jonathan Lewis Member Posts: 9,953 Blue Diamond
    edited Dec 3, 2015 1:42PM

Since you have a row where all the columns (other than user_id) are null then the query is equivalent to:

select distinct

wek.country

from

api_weekly wek

where

wek.region              is not null

and    wek.category            is not null

and    wek.mrp_drp_controller  is not null

and    wek.tdc_val            is not null

and    wek.plant              is not null

and    wek.material            is not null

and    wek.subsector          is not null