• 2,266,669 Discussions
  • 7,911,711 Comments

Discussions

ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available

MikeOBI
MikeOBI Member Posts: 526
edited Jan 8, 2007 2:24AM in APEX Discussions
Hi All,
I have a bunch of e-mails sitting in the HTMLDB E-mail queue that aren't being sent. I had this working OK on the hosted site, but not in my own environment. When I run the following command from SQL Plus: exec htmldb_mail.push_queue('localhost', '25') I get the following error message: "ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available"

Does this mean that my local Oracle Server needs to be identified to the SMTP server?

Thanks,

Mike
Tagged:

Comments

• joelkallman-Oracle
    joelkallman-Oracle Senior Director, Software Development Posts: 4,082 Employee
    Mike,

No, this does not mean that "your local Oracle Server needs to be identified to the SMTP server."

This error message tells me that localhost, the same server where you have your Oracle database running, does not have an SMTP server up and running.

Joel
  • Roy4321
    Roy4321 Member Posts: 306 Bronze Badge
    how to check whether the smtp service is up and running in the local system where the database is present. i am trying to send mail from the system where the database is present.
  • joelkallman-Oracle
    joelkallman-Oracle Senior Director, Software Development Posts: 4,082 Employee
    There are no capabilities directly in HTML DB to ascertain if the SMTP service is available. Additionally, there are no facilities to determine if the SMTP server in the Environment Settings is properly configured as an SMTP server or valid relay host.

If using a Unix/Linux server, I typically telnet to the machine and issue the mail command as a test, as in:
    mail -v -s "FooBar" [email protected]
    With the verbose flag specified, I get feedback on the conversation with the SMTP server.

Joel
    520803 Member Posts: 1
    Go to Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs->Click on
    Add/Remove Wndows Components
    Check IIS check box.
    Select Internet Information Service (IIS) option and click on Details button
    Check whether SMTP Service is checked or not.
    If not selected then select SMTP check box.

This process should be done on server.
    It will help out from ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available
    problem.

[email protected]
    498248 Member Posts: 785
    Hi Friends,

I need a solution for the below requirement .

I need to send report output as URL link to particular
    employees e-mail_id , when the employee clicks the
    URL, the report output would open.
    Please send the solution as soon as possible if u have
    expereinced ever.

Thanks,
    Keshav
This discussion has been closed.
developers