• 2,251,608 Discussions
  • 7,870,847 Comments

Discussions

Each schema on separate listener

Catinredboots
Catinredboots Member Posts: 128
edited Feb 21, 2018 1:57PM in General Database Discussions

Hello,

Is it posible to have each schema on separate listener so each schema will be accessed from different port?

Please let me know if it is possible.

Thanks!

Marcin IzdebskiJuanMJohn ThortonJoerg.SobottkaBPeaslandDBAL. Fernigrini

Answers

• John Thorton
    John Thorton Member Posts: 14,493 Silver Crown
    edited Feb 19, 2018 9:50PM
    Catinredboots wrote: Hello,Is it posible to have each schema on separate listener so each schema will be accessed from different port?Please let me know if it is possible. Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to have multiple listeners running on a single DB Server.

It is also possible to poke yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil.

It is equally foolish to do either possible action.

Do you realize & understand that you can shutdown any Oracle listener & that there will be ZERO impact to existing connected Oracle sessions?

Oracle listener is only active to service the initial connection requests coming from remote client.

If you have a stable application that use Connection Pooling, no listener is really need after the Connection Pool has been initially established.

How do you limit a listener to  connecting  to a single schema?

What is the advantage of having a dedicated listener for each schema?

• Unknown
    edited Feb 19, 2018 9:52PM
    Is it posible to have each schema on separate listener so each schema will be accessed from different port?

No - listeners are used to connect to databases - not schemas.

Marcin Izdebski
  • JuanM
    JuanM Member Posts: 2,155 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 19, 2018 11:43PM
    Catinredboots wrote: Hello,Is it posible to have each schema on separate listener so each schema will be accessed from different port?Please let me know if it is possible. Thanks!

To be honest,  you have a very strange requirement.

In order to help you better, please explain what issue you have.

• SUPRIYO DEY
    SUPRIYO DEY Member Posts: 2,127 Silver Trophy
    edited Feb 20, 2018 12:26AM

Not required , strange requirement.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,573 Red Diamond
    edited Feb 20, 2018 12:30AM
    Catinredboots wrote:Is it posible to have each schema on separate listener so each schema will be accessed from different port?Please let me know if it is possible.

Not possible.

And a clear indication that you are entirely unfamiliar with Oracle client-server architecture, and concepts. You should explain instead what you think the requirement or issue is, instead of asking how a broken and flawed solution can be crafted.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,484 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:05AM

As others have said, it is not possible, and not necessary.

And as other's have asked, why do you think you'd want to?

============================================================================

Please stay after school and write the following sentence 100 times:

One single listener, using the default name of LISTENER and the default port of 1521, is quite capable of -- indeed, WAS DESIGNED TO -- service multiple databases of multiple versions running from multiple homes.  Multiple listeners simply adds complications, and for no gain whatsoever.

============================================================================

BPeaslandDBA
  • Catinredboots
    Catinredboots Member Posts: 128
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:52AM

Application team would like to have different application server connect to a different port number per schema, it is for some kind of testing.

Thanks everyone for you explanation, it looks like it is not possible and I will tell them know that they will need a separate database for each one.

• John Thorton
    John Thorton Member Posts: 14,493 Silver Crown
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:58AM
    Catinredboots wrote:Application team would like to have different application server connect to a different port number per schema, it is for some kind of testing. Thanks everyone for you explanation, it looks like it is not possible and I will tell them know that they will need a separate database for each one. 

Application team would benefit from some serious (re)training!

Why not just have different schemas for testing isolation?

• JuanM
    JuanM Member Posts: 2,155 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:59AM
    Catinredboots wrote:Application team would like to have different application server connect to a different port number per schema, it is for some kind of testing. Thanks everyone for you explanation, it looks like it is not possible and I will tell them know that they will need a separate database for each one. 

yes it is possible but does not have sense.

• JohnWatson2
    JohnWatson2 Member Posts: 4,317 Silver Crown
    edited Feb 20, 2018 10:00AM

No problem with that. Configure your listener to listen on as many ports as necessary.

This discussion has been closed.