• 2,248,281 Discussions
  • 7,861,346 Comments

Discussions

MYSQL Administration for Oracle DBA

Pranav_Admin_dev
Pranav_Admin_dev Member Posts: 33 Blue Ribbon
edited Sep 4, 2018 9:58AM in MySQL Community Space

Dear All ,

I am coming from the Oracle DB background, and i have initiated learning of MYSQL. I already found some documents(Google)  whatever the question i will ask here ,

but to have some more input from experienced MYSQL person/DBA would be really helpful.

I am starting this single common thread to have a discussion for MYSQL Administration's all the important factors ( Comparing with Oracle DB administration , as both are RDBMS ).

So my 1st question is as follows  -- 1. MYSQL WAIT EVENTS --

In oracle DB we have lot of wait events to identify slow query reasons , I believe it should also be under MYSQL Administration too.

So what are those Wait-events and how to find those wait events.

Regards,

Newbie Mysql DBA

Answers

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 354 Employee
    edited Aug 23, 2018 10:23AM

You might want to enable the slow query log.  This log records all queries over a settable time period, usually 1 second. Note that not all queries that show up there are bad performers as some complex queries on big data sets do take time to run.

Former IOUG board membe rand Oracle ACE George Trujillo has some advice for Oracle DBAs moving to MySQL at MySQL DBA - An Oracle DBA's Journey: MySQL Architecture using MOCA

Pranav_Admin_dev
  • Pranav_Admin_dev
    edited Aug 24, 2018 3:12AM

Hi Dave ,

Thank you for your answer , So i believe by using ( enabling ) Slow query log we can find out the expensive/time consuming queries but couldn't find Wait Events ( correct me if i am wrong ).

Moving to my Next Question is as follows --2. Enterprise Manager Monitoring Tool --

-- 3. Listener ( For incoming connections ) --

In Oracle , We have Enterprise Manager Monitoring Tool ( 12c cloud also ) to monitoring sessions , queries and all other stuffs. Is there any tool from Mysql side?

In Oracle ,Listener handles the incoming connections , In mysql which service handles the incoming connection apart from mysqld( correct me if i am wrong ) and apart from my.cnf which configuration file handles the incoming connection's parameters?

Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 354 Employee
    edited Aug 31, 2018 10:30AM

We have threads not services that do that work.

Pranav_Admin_dev
  • Pranav_Admin_dev
    edited Sep 3, 2018 2:07AM

Thanks for the information ,

If there are threads in mysql who handles the incoming connections , and i want to kill the incoming connections through OS level , how would i achieve that?

edited Sep 3, 2018 4:09PM

If you are using the Enterprise edition you can use the connection pooling plug-in to support more connections.  You are not going to have an easy trying to kill idle connections from the OS side.  Are you having a lot of bad connections or idle connections?

Pranav_Admin_dev
  • Pranav_Admin_dev
    edited Sep 4, 2018 5:19AM

Thanks for reply Dave ,

I am not having lot of bad connections , i am just trying to find out the administration option of MYsql DB compare to Oracle DB.

Having said , connection pooling plug-in for supporting more connection , is there any limitations of Mysql DB's open source version ? in terms of connections?

edited Sep 4, 2018 9:58AM

Connection pooling limits are part traffic and part data.  Lots of short, in and out transactions will be great with the enterprise only connection  pool plug-in, as most of the internet will attest.  But if you are doing a lot of persistent connections for long queries you may need to get the enterprise version.

Pranav_Admin_dev