Forum Stats

• 3,814,944 Users
  • 2,258,933 Discussions
  • 7,892,894 Comments

Discussions

How to make 32-bit Oracle client driver available to ODBC administrator tool?

jtomasic
jtomasic Member Posts: 181 Bronze Badge
edited Nov 5, 2018 4:53PM in ODBC

Hello All,

I have downloaded 64-bit Oracle Instantclient 10.2 to my Windows 7 PC, and aIl works well as expected.  But I now have to download 32-bit Oracle Instantclient 10.2 and ODBC driver to be used in MS Access 2016.  I followed the instructions step by step as described in the following link:

https://itkbs.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/how-to-install-odbc-driver-for-oracle-in-windows-7/

Per instructions, I downloaded the instantclient-basic-nt-11.2.0.3.0.zip and instantclient-odbc-nt-11.2.0.3.0.zip files, unzip them and then modified the Path system Variable value for the folder that contains the instantclient and odbc information.  Once all done, for some reason, the Oracle 32-bit driver cannot be verified in the ODBC Data Sources.  My question is:

How to make 32-bit Oracle client driver available to ODBC administrator tool so that I can connect to the Oracle database thru ODBC in MS Access?

I have already spent a lot of time on this and I am desperately asking for your help.

Any/all the help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jinlan

--

Answers

• SSakthi-Oracle
    SSakthi-Oracle Member Posts: 18 Employee
    edited Nov 2, 2018 9:59AM

Refer note: Test a 32-bit OLEDB Connection With a UDL File on 64-bit Windows (Doc ID 405743.1)

How To Install Both 32-bit and 64-bit ODP, OLEDB, And ODBC Oracle Software on 64-bit Windows (Doc ID 795602.1)

• Sdhamoth-Oracle
    Sdhamoth-Oracle Member Posts: 184 Employee
    edited Nov 2, 2018 11:37PM

You have to open the 32bit version of ODBC administrator tool to view the list of 32bit ODBC driver installed on your 64bit OS. It is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.

You can configure DNS for your ODBC driver using it and your 32 bit MS Access could access that DNS.

• jtomasic
    edited Nov 5, 2018 2:34PM

I am looking for a resolution on how to make 32-bit Oracle 'instantclient', NOT Client, driver available in the ODBC Administrator Tool so that I can configure it to access Oracle database in MS ACCESS 2016(which is 32-bit) thru ODBC.  Thanks for your information though.

• jtomasic
    edited Nov 5, 2018 4:53PM

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I found C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe along w/ a list of folders and *.dll files in the same folder.

Do you mean to add a DSN, say ODBC_32, w/ variable value of 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\'  as one of the Environmental Variables in the system properties?  If not, please explain or give me an example.

Since we are currently on Oracle 10.1.0.5, so I tried to uninstall Oracle instantclient-basic-nt-11.2 and instantclient-odbc-nt-11.2 by running odbc_uninstall.exe, but nothing happened.  I then downloaded the following zip files to a new folder:

32-bit Oracle instantclient 10.1.0.5:

instantclient-basic-win32-10.1.0.5-20060419.zip

32-bit ODBC 10.1.0.5:

instantclient-odbc-win32-10.1.0.5-20060419.zip

from the same web site link:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html

At the completion of the installation(by following the same processes), the 32-bit Oracle driver is still not available in the ODBC Data Source Administrator. I current have the following Environmental Variables and corresponding values:

Variable Name  Value

---------------- --------------------------

TNS_ADMIN    C:\Oracle\Network\Admin (where tnsnames.ora is saved.)

MRS               C:\Oracle_ODBC (for all downloaded Oracle/ODBC 10.1.0.5)

PATH              ‘;C:\Oracle_ODBC’ appended to the end of existing PATH value

Please clarify what you meant and maybe provide further instructions.  For some reason the 32-bit Oracle instantclient driver is not being seen by ODBC Data Source Administrator.

I think I am probably missing something very simple here in trying to resolve the issue of making 32-bit Oracle instantclient driver available to ODBC Data Source Administrator, but after spending so mush time on this, I am not sure anymore...

Any hint, help or further instructions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.