• 3,824,982 Users
  • 2,260,448 Discussions
  • 7,896,369 Comments

Discussions

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error after successful installation of 18 xe

SullivanK
SullivanK Member Posts: 16 Blue Ribbon

Hi,

I installed 18 XE on windows 10, but get this error when I try to login via cmd. I installed it via the installation wizard and left every setting on default. Already tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling.

After reading Receive ORA-12560 TNS:protocol adapter error with XE 18c / Windows I tried changing my windows environment settings but did not find any for Oracle, which is weird right?

Also, with Oracle 11xe i was used to having 4 windows services and now I only see two: a recovery service and listener. Is that normal?

thanks,

Sullivan

SullivanK

Best Answer

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    edited Mar 16, 2019 5:11PM

That error is very generic that just means "things are really messed up!"

If you do not see OracleServiceXE, then you have your answer - the install failed.

Did you set ORACLE_HOME? Don't set that on Windows. You shouldn't have to set any environment variable after install.

Possibly the PATH did not get set to the new Oracle home.

SullivanK
  • SullivanK
    edited Mar 17, 2019 2:38AM

Thanks for your reply Christian,

Yeah I figured something went wrong :-) , but I don't even know where to start looking. I didn't set any environment variables, but I was expecting to see it already set, which was not the case.

So we have services missing and an incorrect path set? Mind giving me some debugging tips? i have no idea what to check and can't really find anything.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited Mar 17, 2019 5:04AM

If you do not see OracleServiceXE, there is no hope for it working in the current state. That is the Oracle database software.

When you installed it, did you use the user interface version of the install (as opposed to command line)? If so, did it show you a final screen with connection strings (similar to what is shown in chapter 5 of the documentation)?

Is there anything unusual about your Windows 10? Are the drives involved local drives? Is it an up to date version of windows 10?

If you are using a domain user, can you try creating a local administrator user and log in and install with that?

• SullivanK
    edited Mar 17, 2019 6:41AM

Do you mean this?

Capture.PNG

Then yes.

Local drive yes, I have only one, no partitions, if thats an issue too. Also up to date version of windows.

Tried with no differing results:

- creating another admin and installing with that one

- installing 11 xe, uninstalling that one and then reinstalling 18

- downloading 18xe again and installing that version.

Do you think installing from command line would make a difference?

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,785 Bronze Crown
    edited Mar 17, 2019 7:54AM

That screenshot suggests it did install.

What user did you use for the install, Adminsistrator?

What user are you looged in as when you try and view Services?

...when you say "I installed 18 XE on windows 10, but get this error when I try to login via cmd." show how you tried to login via cmd.

SullivanK
  • SullivanK
    edited Mar 18, 2019 4:40AM

Thanks Gaz, I do realize that the screenshot suggests it did install... It's the first line on screen after all.

Yes I installed it as an administrator, even tried making another admin as Christian suggested. When i view Services, I tried logging in as the administrators (both of them, only two users on my laptop).

logging in via cmd is done via the usual:

"sqlplus /nolog" and then conn sys as sysdba

or "sqlplus / as sysdba"

or all other ways of logging in I could find on google, but I sure can reinstall it and paste a screenshot.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited Mar 18, 2019 4:49AM

Just to confirm again, you do NOT have OracleServiceXE in the services Window?

If not, the installation failed and we will need to find out why. I am talking to some of the engineers to see what the next step is.

SullivanK
  • SullivanK
    edited Mar 18, 2019 4:53AM

yeah exactly, I do NOT have it.

Services.jpeg

Maybe this screenshot helps?

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited Mar 18, 2019 5:01AM

Ok, thanks for your patience. Stand by.. we will probably have to look at your log files to figure out what is going wrong. I will get back soon.

SullivanK
  • SullivanK
    edited Mar 18, 2019 5:16AM

Thanks Christan. It's for personal tinkering at home and I can't really get to my laptop right now so no absolute hurry. Asked my DBA friend to take a whack at it after work too, hopefully he will get it working. If so, I will post update and solution ofcourse.