• 3,727,836 Users
  • 2,245,473 Discussions
  • 7,853,057 Comments

Discussions

ODP UDT Future on .NET core

4285382 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2020 in ODP.NET

Hello,

We are migrating a high profile .NET web app to .NET core. We are on Oracle(12c) EBS.  All I/O is via stored procs with UDT parms.  There are 100's of nested UDTs.

According to a scattering of info on here, twitter, & https://github.com/oracle/dotnet-db-samples/issues/56  UDTs are not yet available for the managed .NET ODP for .NET Core.

1. What is the potential availability of this (earliest and latest estimates)?
  2. What advice do you have for migrating to .NET Core while continuing to use UDTs? 
    1. Would this work:
      1. Continue (temporarily) to use existing .NET 4 services project that retrieves UDTs via current unmanaged ODP.  (so no change)
      2. Build new .NET web project on .NET Core.
      3. Build new .NET class library project using .NET Standard.  Migrate UDT classes from the .NET 4 services proj and make them POCO's (so trip out all the Oracle-specific references that wont work of course on .NET Standard).  Then in the .NET 4 services proj, manually pass the UDT classes to the POCO's, where the POCO's will also be reference/available in .NET Core.

Thanks! Any advice would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    Alex Keh-Oracle Posts: 2,801 Employee
    edited July 2020 Accepted Answer

I'll have a better idea on the timing of managed ODP.NET and ODP.NET Core UDTs in a few months. The dev team is making good progress on the project.

Some customers who want to move now to managed or Core have converted to using well-known text geometries if they are using Spatial types..

Unmanaged ODP.NET does not work in .NET Core. So #2 is out of the question. #1 and #3 are possible.

Answers

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited July 2020 Accepted Answer

I'll have a better idea on the timing of managed ODP.NET and ODP.NET Core UDTs in a few months. The dev team is making good progress on the project.

Some customers who want to move now to managed or Core have converted to using well-known text geometries if they are using Spatial types..

Unmanaged ODP.NET does not work in .NET Core. So #2 is out of the question. #1 and #3 are possible.

4285382 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

The above was not 3 separate solutions, but 1 solution consisting of 3 projects where #1 & #3 reference #2 (.net standard)  The purpose of #2 (.net standard) was to place the POCOs & shared resources is all.

These are not spacial types so WKT is out.

It sounds like we will try with the above. 

If you are not able to provide a SWAG estimate, I assume that this won't drop until 2021?

Thanks!

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited July 2020

2021 would be the earliest possible delivery date. Harder to provide a more precise range until we make further progress.