• 3,741,519 Users
  • 2,248,442 Discussions
  • 7,861,847 Comments

Discussions

ORDS 19.4 to 19.4.6 causes massive concurrency in the database

Bo A
Bo A Member Posts: 117 Blue Ribbon

Hello everyone,

I'm running into this issue in our current test instance where during ORDS upgrade process, it would cause a massive concurrency in the database. Eventually

Eventually, it errored out with the following error message in the ords_upgrade log.
ORA-20103: Cannot revoke EXECUTE on SYS.DBMS_UTILITY from ORDS_PUBLIC_USER. ORA-04021: timeout occurred while waiting to lock object

I've never run into this issue before during the previous ORDS upgrade. (We have been running our ORDS inside a docker containers since ORDS 18.2 (we upgraded to 19.4 with no issue).

Has anyone had this issue with a 19.4.6 upgrade on non-docker instance, also?

Bo AEJ-EgyedthatJeffSmith-Oracle

Best Answer

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 7,779 Employee
    edited Jul 16, 2020 5:36PM

are you an oracle employee?

are you doing a container (multitenant) install?

• Bo A
    edited Jul 16, 2020 8:16PM

I'm not an Oracle Employee.

are you doing a container (multitenant) install?

No, My ORDS installation is on tomcat server that is running inside a docker.

Our RDMBS version is 12.1.0.2, APEX 20.1, and ORDS 19.4.

UPDATE: During ORDS upgrade from 19.4 to 19.4.6 the concurrency issue in the database was so bad that we can't even access the EBS instance anymore. Since it was non-production instance, I also tried doing ORDS upgrade with EBS front-end shutdown. Massive concurrencies still occurred in the database activity during the ORDS upgrade and eventually error out with ORA-20103: Cannot revoke EXECUTE on SYS.DBMS_UTILITY from ORDS_PUBLIC_USER. ORA-04021: timeout occurred while waiting to lock object.

• EJ-Egyed
    EJ-Egyed Member Posts: 125 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 17, 2020 9:07AM Accepted Answer

Have you tried upgrading to ORDS 20.2?  There is a very similar issue that was fixed in ORDS 20.2 and this issue could potentially be fixed as well.

https://www.oracle.com/tools/ords/ords-relnotes-202.html

pastedImage_0.png

Bo A
  • Bo A
    edited Jul 17, 2020 9:31AM

Thank you, I supposed I could tried ORDS 20.2.0 instead. Thank you and will let you know.

• Bo A
    edited Jul 20, 2020 7:58AM

I don't see the same concurrency issue in the database when going from 19.4 to 20.2.0. Thank you.

EJ-EgyedthatJeffSmith-OraclethatJeffSmith-Oracle
  • Nilo Segura
    Nilo Segura Member Posts: 14 Blue Ribbon

Hello,

We just ran into the same issue, but with 20.4.3.r0501904

ORA-20103: Cannot revoke EXECUTE on SYS.DBMS_UTILITY from ORDS_PUBLIC_USER. ORA-04021: timeout occurred while waiting to lock object

The SYS session is waiting on "Revoke: get object" while running the revoke.

At the same time we see many other sessions suddenly getting blocked on cursor: pin S wait on X. This is a 2 node RAC on rdbms 19.11

I guess we will have to request downtime to upgrade to this new ORDS.

regards