Forum Stats

• 3,874,210 Users
  • 2,266,682 Discussions
  • 7,911,769 Comments

Discussions

Are the users defined in apex.oracle.com auto Access Control List feature useable?

JKL
JKL Member Posts: 32 Bronze Badge
edited Oct 27, 2020 2:34PM in APEX Discussions

Hi, I am testing apex in apex.oracle.com. I created an app and checked to use the Access Control feature. It builds a Access Control area in the Administration menu link. When I add new users and specified the roles, it seems to add the user to the APEX_APPL_ACL_USERS. I can get a list of that users with the query below:

SELECT USER_NAME

FROM APEX_APPL_ACL_USERS

WHERE APPLICATION_ID = :APP_ID

ORDER BY USER_NAME

However, I am not seeing the app sending out email or anything to ask the user to join. Also, I can't use this user name to login to the app to run it, well obviously, the Add user screen does not provide field to setup password.

So my question is that can we actually use these users in the app? I don't know the right search words to search for how to setup these users as real users. It may not allow you to do so. Or this is just apex.oracle.com thing because we don't have control over the actual user setup like password setup?

So how do I login as a different user for the same app added via the app default Access Control Admin area?

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• JKL
    edited Oct 27, 2020 6:21PM

Hilary,

Thanks for the reply. I am comparing the user from the Application specific Users area in the Administration section and the APEX Workspace user. The two lists don't match. Attached please find the screen shots between the two. One from the Application Administration Access Control User list and the other is the Workspace user. I don't think that the two lists are the same like you suggested unless I misunderstand you. The following two screen shots will show you the difference. I blur the domain name for the email address. In the Workspace user section, you can ignore GETHELP as the user. That's for another app/login. But [email protected] is my actual login to the apex.oracle.com. In the specific app, I also have an user named [email protected] I can understand this one. But I have also created ds9, jl2 via the Application Administration menu link area, i.e. default Access Control List feature Admin page seeded with the App Creation wizard. But I am not finding these users in the Workspace User list. So I don't think that the two are the same here.

The following screen shot was taken from the App Administration section of the User list.

The following screen shot was taken from the Workspace Manage User section.

The two are very different. My understanding is that the APEX user is created in the Workspace. But my question is related to the Application level user list. Where do they create and how can I login as those user such as DS9 in the screen. There is no place to create the password when you add a new user via the Application Administration section.

So are you suggesting that I have to also create the same user e.g. DS9 or JL2 in the Workspace area and then they can access the app that way?

Hope I can explain my question properly. Thanks

• JKL

Hilary,

Ok, I just create new user via the Manage Workspace User area and it seems to work the way it is. But how does APEX reconcile the two lists. Are they truely the same user in this case other than the user name is the same. But it is just weird that this is the method. Why can't APEX simply actually create the Workspace user directly if the user is not already created? Either way, thanks for your reply.

• Hilary Farrell-Oracle
    Hilary Farrell-Oracle Software Development Senior Manager Member Posts: 2,406 Employee

Hi JKL,

So are you suggesting that I have to also create the same user e.g. DS9 or JL2 in the Workspace area and then they can access the app that way?

Yes, that's correct. When you're using APEX Accounts authentication, the users in question must exist in the workspace in order to have access to the application. Users added to the Access Control List via the Application Administration are not automatically created as workspace users. You must use the workspace Administration -> Manage Users and Groups -> Create User wizard in order to actually create the new users.

Regards,

Hilary

• JKL

Hilary,

It would be nice to automatically add this as APEX user or take you to the add user page for the app if the app has a custom application user creation process. I guess that this may be quite a complicated feature. For now, thanks for your update.