Forum Stats

• 3,752,194 Users
  • 2,250,468 Discussions
  • 7,867,747 Comments

Discussions

what is the current Berkeley DB Java Edition release? is there a public source code repository

AndyGlick
AndyGlick Member Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon

The standard Oracle Berkeley DB Java Edition pages give the current release as 7.5.11. And offers what looks to be a complete distribution. This is some years old.

Maven Central offers a release of com.sleepycat:je:18.3.12 which offers a more recent jar file, a source jarfile and a javadoc jar file, but it does not offer the test code or the examples.

Given that this product is released under an open source license it would be helpful if a source code repository were available. In addition, as I understand it the Affero GPL requires that OSS licensees are obligated to contribute their enhancements and bug fixes back to Oracle, but there seems to be no way of doing that, or rather there does not appear to be anyway that OSS participants can share changes among each other.

If the current release is in fact 18.3.12 then would you please create such a full release? If you aren't going to treat it as a release, then what are your intentions going forward for this product and how can OSS licensees see each other's work?

Comments

• AndyGlick

I did want to say that the test suite from the 7.5.11 version won't compile as is against the 18.3.12 code base because there are breaking changes between the 2 distributions. It would be good to get access to updated test code. I have been having difficulties attemopting to re-engineer the existing tests with the latest source.

• userBDBDMS-Oracle
    userBDBDMS-Oracle Member Posts: 782 Employee

The current public release of BDB JE is 7.5.11. What you are referring to as 18.3.12 is actually from Oracle NoSQL Database Server. This is a fork of BDB JE and has diverged significantly from the 7.5.11 public version. From time to time, we will release updates to the 7.5.x code line but additional public major releases are not planned at this time. While we have not tested internally, it makes sense to me that the 7.5.11 test suite does not run with 18.3.12 (code line has diverged). We do have plans in CY21 to release a new product that will serve as a replacement for BDB JE. Feel free to reach out to me later this spring and I will hopefully have more details ([email protected])

• AndyGlick

Michael, thank you for your response. I will be sure to get back to you in the spring.

• Vlad K
    Vlad K Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon

I hope the replacement will work with Java 11, 17, and support JPMS (include Automatic-Module-Name, at least).