• 2,245,319 Discussions
  • 7,852,585 Comments

Discussions

Migration from Apex 19.2 to 20.2

John like many others
John like many others Member Posts: 105 Red Ribbon

Hello

I have developed an Apex Application with version 19.2

Now we would like to install Apex 20.2 on another DB and import/migrate the developed application in 19.2 Is it ok to simply export in 19.2 and import in 20.2 or are there other things to consider?

I'm sure there is documentation for such things, just couldn't find it in Internet.

Regards

Best Answer

Answers

• John like many others

Thank you for your answer, glad to hear it works that way! Luckily no external (custom) objects like CSS.

Regards

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 19,534 Black Diamond

Now we would like to install Apex 20.2 on another DB and import/migrate the developed application in 19.2 Is it ok to simply export in 19.2 and import in 20.2 or are there other things to consider?

Always check the Release Notes for the target version (and any others that are being skipped) for deprecation/desupport notices, fixed/known bugs, and other changes in behaviour or functionality.

Sylvain Martel
  • Sylvain Martel
    Sylvain Martel Member Posts: 647 Bronze Trophy

fac586 is right (as always!) You should always review the documentation when moving to a newer version.

• John like many others

Thank you all...

After checking https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/application-express/20.2/htmrn/index.html#HTMRN-GUID-216EF074-6E0C-4CCC-BC39-AFECE3674305 I had a shock what all was stopped, deprecated, desupported so we now stay on Apex 19.2

• Sylvain Martel

Could you tell this forum what is preventing you from moving forward to 20.2? This will help others with their evaluation.

• John like many others

IE 11 no longer supported (which I understand) but the company I'm working for has many business locations worldwide and some of them still use IE11.

Many pages use openmodal which is deprecated.

I did not check further after finding those two. Sure, sooner or later we probably must upgrade but then everything (every page) must be tested in detail.

• Sylvain Martel

These are interesting points that you are bringing up.

Even though Microsoft announced in August 2020 that they will not support IE11 anymore, many organizations (including yours) are not or have not put in place a project to move to Edge, or any other browser. For a browser released in 2013, that seems like pre industrial times in IT time! lol

So I guess it makes sense for Oracle to stop supporting IE11 if Microsoft doesn't support it anymore, and had stopped any development of IE over 4 years ago...

As for openModal specifically, it was actually announced as deprecated in APEX 19.2 and is now desupported in APEX 20.2. You can still use it in your 20.2 application, you won't be able to get support for it if something fails. That's where testing is quite important for such situations.

Thank you for providing these reasons for the rest of the community.

• John like many others

Thanks, I totally agree with you and all over de-support IE 11 makes totally sense, it's way overaged and I'm not up to finger-pointing! It lies in the nature of changes that this once was happening. I've developed the application in Chrome with Apex 19.2 what worked well.

The "IE11 problem" here is the current major issue why we decided to stop the migration to 20.2 (for now). As usual the business wants to see the app asap in PROD and as we have found out not all areas have Chrome or Edge in use. There were projects with switching to Chrome and Edge but it's not that easy in a company with several thousand employees worldwide divided in divisions and subdivisions, different IT infrastructures/departments. I would love to switch to 20.2 but as there is no time given (yet) we have to go the "safest" way and stay on 19.2

Open/CloseModal might have been fixed now as there is a provided solution. It just jumped into my eye overviewing the list.

Sylvain Martel
  • Sylvain Martel

Those challenges that you are describing are real and common in many organizations. Your decision to stay on APEX 19.2 make sense in the current situation but you will need to advocate for an extra effort from the organization in order to keep up (sic!) with technology!

Thanks again for sharing your experience with everyone in the community.