Forum Stats

• 3,734,504 Users
  • 2,246,993 Discussions
  • 7,857,333 Comments

Discussions

Why can't we access the exercise files exposed in the Java Complete Programming course?

Answers

• User_839S1
    User_839S1 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

What's up guys!

First: Martien van den Akker, you are the best "stubborn Dutch guy ...;)" in the world !!!

I really appreciate what you did for us.

Second: I'm a "stubborn Brazilian guy!;) Here, becouse of our country problems, politicals and ... whatever, all problems that we have here. We frequently say" I'm brazilian an I NEVER GIVE UP! ". You show to me that that effort has value, I'm finishing the course and I will be able to do all exercises much better thanks to you.

Sincerely,

Carlos Barros

Below is my contact on linkendin, if anyone wants to add on the network, just send it there. ;)

www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-barros-petro-br

Martien van den Akker
  • Martien van den Akker
    Martien van den Akker Member Posts: 2,775 Bronze Crown

Thanks Carlos,

You made me smile!

Kind regards,

Martien

• mserge
    mserge Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon
    Actually there is error in practice 14. in printProductReport there is  Collections.sort(reviews); 
    And this code actually mutating the values in products map, but we have only the readlock there. 

So in my exercise I decided to copy the reviews list and sort the copy.

Anyway thank you Vasiliy and Oracle for this course.

BTW anyone can find the practice java-se-programming-complete-practice repo if you like.

Martien van den Akker
  • User_BK6UW
    User_BK6UW Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Same here, so weird to let us view the videos on this course but not the materials to actually put it into practice. This isn't something that is theoretical, programming requires hard practice which is made unnecessarily harder when they don't give their own materials for even an online view or temporary basis.

Sure we can make our own programs but that will cause a problems for people where they make it too easy or hard for themselves.

• User_BK6UW
    User_BK6UW Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Same here, so weird to let us view the videos on this course but not the materials to actually put it into practice. This isn't something that is theoretical, programming requires hard practice which is made unnecessarily harder when they don't give their own materials for even an online view or temporary basis.

Sure we can make our own programs but that will cause a problems for people where they make it too easy or hard for themselves.

• bm1004
    bm1004 Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon

There's bad news for practice 15-2. For the second practice they use a modified project solution which divides the solution into 4 modules. They don't give us the project and it is tedious to manually create. I found this to be the most difficult practice and the quiz was most difficult, too. What are they thinking to sabotage our efforts so flagrantly and needlessly? I was ok with it until this practice.

• Martien van den Akker

Yep got to that one too. I'm still busy trying to make something from it.

• User_TOQ7T
    User_TOQ7T Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

As recommended I first finished the Java Explorer free course (https://learn.oracle.com/ols/learning-path/java-explorer/40805/79726) before starting this Java SE: Programming Complete 25th anniversary course. I'm running into the same problem, with the practices pdf missing.

When the pdf with exercises is first mentioned (1: introduction to Java --> Practice 1-1: Verify the JDK Installation) he sais it is available on 'the remote desktop to which you connect'. This remote desktop is not included in the free 25th course.

However, in the Java Explorer course that I just finished a free 30-day trial cloud account is mentioned. All exercises in that course are also done on a remote desktop. I don't have a creditcard, so I couldn't finish a registration there, but maybe somebody else tried this? See course Java Explorer (link above) --> lesson 'Introduction to Java Basics' --> part 'Provision Env Demo'.

So my question is: is the remote desktop created made available in the Java Explorer class the same as for the 25th Java SE: Programming Complete course? And can anybody find the the d107120GC10_ag.pdf file on that remote desktop?

• User_TOQ7T

Rewatching that video of the Java Explorer course again he sais:

"If you access oracle.com or go to cloud.oracle.com, you'll access this page where you can access a free Oracle trial account. Now, because this is a free Java course, we decided that the students could bring their own trial account with them and use their own account. **Oracle is not providing an account for you for this course.**

But you can simply go to the trial Oracle Cloud tier, click on that, go in and click on Start for Free, and then fill out the pages necessary to create an account. Put in a territory, an email address, click Next, put in your identifying information. You will need to submit a credit card for authentication purposes."

So as Oracle isn't the one providing an account and as shown in the video he creates a remote desktop unrelated to the course itself (@3:41 selecting 'Oracle Cloud Developer Image'). However, the video doesn't show the other images available. Maybe the image with the remote desktop of Java SE complete course is under another tab? Hope somebody can check.

• User_TOQ7T

@Martien van den Akker

How did you do the practices? Do you have a payed subscription and with that also the pdf, or is your sub also free and did you just do them by watching the videos?

• Abdeladim ELBAKILI
    Abdeladim ELBAKILI Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

How can we access to labs Exercise and practice it ??

• Martien van den Akker

Hi,

I paused the practice videos regularly on the places where the trainer shows his copy of the labs. He only copy&pastes code from the student guide to the IDE. So, pause and try to come up with my own code and compare it with the suggestions in the video and the actual code he copies to his editor.

This works for most of the labs. With the sort of exception of the bulkload lab, because in the actual lab environment you'll get about 65 csv files. I solved that by transforming the product and review examples in the earlier labs into csv files. So I have about 6 products with accompanying reviews.

The actual lab where I get in more trouble is lab 15.2, as pointed out by bm1004, because there the student guide asumes a copy of the project that is refactored for you. Here in the lab video the trainer shows what the refactorings are. So I planned to try to do those myself. But I haven't been able to come that far.

So, if you won't have trouble with typing over the code, than you'll be able to do most of the labs.

Kind regards,

Martien

User_VOAZL
  • Martien van den Akker

Nope, you won't get the student guide or the resource files. But you can do the exercises by watching and regularly pausing the lab-videos. See my previous comments.

Kind regards,

Martien

• User_TOQ7T

Hi Martien,

I see. Currently I'm also doing the course, now at lesson 7/8. I'm following your example, tracking my progress on github (https://github.com/jonadv/java-learning/commits/main) I keep it all in one folder, but make a commit after every lesson. Thanks for uploading your csv's, I'm sure they will come in handy later. I don't think Oracle would have a problem with homework assignments being publicly available btw, if the student chooses to copy-paste it and learn nothing from it, it is his choice.

I find this course very educational, but as you are saying, he just scrolls through the assignment docs and copy pastes the code. If the goal and possible ways were explained first, forcing you to think about it first (like in the Java Explorer course), it would teach a lot more. I'm also trying to come up with my own solutions and code, but starting from practice 7 the difficulty increases. Are you planning on finishing the course? And also planning to take the 819-J exam before April 25th?

• User_Q5Z53
    User_Q5Z53 Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

I used your files too and got the same problem. The truth why the instructor's solution shows the stars is simply because in the files that he already have the rating is pre set there (Practice 13-2 Minute 9) , giving the impression that it was calculated when actually the rating value is already written in the csv file.

• User_TOQ7T

I'm having the same problem (average rating is applied and stored, but somehow is not printed by the printProductReport method) but already at practice 9-1, right after applying the HashMap to the reviews. Before inserting the HashMap it worked.

I've compared code of Martien to my own code, and can't find any differences.

User_VOAZL
  • Martien van den Akker

In Lab 9 it should work. You should compare it to my lab/practice9 code. I got it working there.

• Martien van den Akker

Oh, ok! I'll look into that. I think in my files I have it 0 everywhere. That I have overlooked that! 😊

Many thanks for mentioning this.

By the way, I'm trying to do the refactoring of 15.2. But I have a bit trouble in refactoring the getDiscounts() method. I'm not that experienced in the stream-api yet.

And I miss the implementation of two new methods from the new productmanager interface. So if someone has tips: enlighten me.

User_Q5Z53
  • Martien van den Akker

Hi,

I took a look at the first minutes of the video of lab 15B, where he shows how the starting point of lab 15B is refactored. He does not show all the code, but he does show the ProductManger interface, the project structure and he does show the Shop Class.

Based on this and figuring how the interface methods should be implemented given the code in the previous labs, I think I managed to do the refactoring myself. If you're interested, check out: https://github.com/makker-nl/ou25th-java11-labs/tree/main/labs/practice15B-refactored/ProductManagement.

Feel free to comment on it, if you think I missed something. it's not unthinkable that I have some flaws. But I checked and it works.

I had most difficulties with the getDiscounts() method. But that is mainly because I'm quite new in the Streaming API. In fact, that was the reason I did the course anyway. So it was a good practice for me.

Have fun with it.

Kind regards,

Martien

User_4A34O
  • User_TOQ7T

After about a day of looking into the code, trying to understand and concluding over and over again that there aren't any differences in our code that should cause the problem and that the code should work, I did not pay attention to the Shop class, where the problem was:

Product p1 was initialized not_rated and assumed was that pm.review method would change the product in the ProductManager class, but as that method just returns a product, it did add a review to the productlist, but the average-holder was returned to the Store without being stored. Long story short: adding 'p1 =' fixed it.

Anyway, thanks for your code again. Cost a lot of time to compare all of the code but it def helped.

Martien van den Akker
  • User_1ICQ6
    User_1ICQ6 Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

Just scanned the discussion today. Appreciate the insights and the shared code (Thanks, Martien!) Struggled here and there and adapted to a Windows environment on my laptop when I ran into issues trying to use the Oracle cloud account suggested in the Explorer course.

Not much to add yet. Noticed the sneaky initialization of the rating in the uploaded product file that we were given a glimpse of in chapter 13. Just finishing the exercise there and I appreciate the heads up on 15.2...

I'm also pausing the video and working on my typing skills. :)

Jay B.

• User_4A34O
    User_4A34O Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

just in case if anyone needed, bash one-liners to generate 64 products and reviews for chapter 14:

#bash
    #products
    for i in $(seq 101 164); do P=("F" "D") && N=("ICECREAM" "SHAKE") && echo "${P[0+$RANDOM%2]},$i,${N[0+$RANDOM%2]}_$i,$((1+$RANDOM%10)).99,$((1+$RANDOM%5)),2022-01-01" > product$i.csv; done
    #reviews
    for i in $(seq 101 164); do for n in $(seq 1 $((1+$RANDOM%5))); do LIST=("Not Bad" "Ok" "Hot" "Good" "Fizzy") &&  echo "$((1+$RANDOM%5)), ${LIST[0+$RANDOM%5]}" >> reviews$i.csv; done; done

and result will be

~/labs/data$ cat product123.csv reviews123.csv
    D,123,ICECREAM_123,1.99,2,2022-01-01
    5, Hot
    4, Fizzy
    3, Hot
    1, Not Bad

Martien van den AkkerUser_TOQ7TUser_GFS87
  • Martien van den Akker

I just finished lab 15.2 using my own refactoring of the application. Worked like charm.

Also adapted my csv files and set the initial ratings to some random values. Indeed: then you get to see the stars of the products.

Kind regards,

Martien