• 7,870,541 Comments

Discussions

Link to download webutil_demo.fmb?

Jessica Boggia
Jessica Boggia Member Posts: 11 Red Ribbon
edited Feb 12, 2020 10:33AM in Forms

Hello All,

I am trying to test our webutil configuration per Doc ID 2070183.1

It mentions compiling and running webutil_demo.fmb. However, this .fmb file is nowhere to be found in $oracle_home/forms. Some sources mention that you need to download it from OTN, specifically here https://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/htdocs/webutil/

However, there I cannot find a link on that page to download the demo. I've tried googling around and looking on the OTN/oracle's website elsewhere, but I am not finding a link to download this.

I'm hoping I'm just tired today and it's out there somewhere, I'm just having a hiccup finding it. I found one out there for 11g, but not 12c...

If there is one out there for 12c, where would I find the download? If it was actually removed from the Oracle website, is there a different simple form out there I can use to test webutil on 12c?

Thank you,

Jessica Boggia

Jessica Boggia

Best Answer

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,854 Employee
    edited Feb 11, 2020 5:25PM Accepted Answer

Jessica,

For the most part, many demos have been removed from download access via OTN.  Some still remain, but gradually most will be removed.  If you have a copy claiming to be from v11 there is no reason it won't work in v12.

Regarding the "configuration", in v12 there is very little configuration required for WebUtil.  About the only configuring you need to do is the following:

1.  Run the create_webutil_db.sql script.  Found in ORACLE_HOME\forms.  Before executing this, consider that anyone attempting to generate a WebUtil enabled module will need access to the objects it creates.  Similar is true at runtime for the users.  So be sure to either run the script against a schema everyone has grants to or do create a new schema like "webutil" and grant access to everyone.

Also, just because you may have done this once before in the past do not assume you don't need to do it again.  This script was updated in 12.2.1.4.  In order to benefit from its changes you must rerun it.

2.  Generate webutil.plx from webutil.pll found in ORACLE_HOME\forms.  Do not copy this file from an earlier release.  You must use the one provided in the installation.

3.  Download 1.18-M2 of JACOB (third party library).  You can use a newer version, but using a different version will require additional changes in the WebUtil configuration.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/jacob-project/files/jacob-project/

Once you have downloaded the JACOB zip file extract its contents.  Copy the  ...x64.dll to Oracle_Home\forms\webutil\win64 and ...x86.dll to Oracle_Home\forms\webutil\win32

The jacob.jar file will need to be signed using a trusted and known certificate.  Refer to the Java documentation for "jarsigner" if you are not familiar with signing JAR files.  Once signed, copy the signed JAR to Oracle_Home\forms\java (if WLS_FORMS is already running you will need to bounce it)

If you are planning to create a form from scratch and do not plan to use the OLE functionality (e.g. integration with MS Office), you can skip step 3.  However, when creating the new form, be sure to use the Object Group "WEBUTIL_NO_OLE" when adding it to the form.

pastedImage_3.png

For the most part, the above steps should get you the basics.  All you need now is a working form.  If you want to use file upload/download you will need to enable it in the WebUtil configuration.

To create the form simply do this:

1.  Copy or subclass the Object Group I mentioned above into your new form.

2.  Attach webutil.pll to your form (remember that you generated the plx earlier/above).

3.  Add whatever else you want to the form.

4.  Compile all the form's pl/sql (Ctrl+Shift+K) then Save then Compile Module (Ctrl+T)

To run the form you will need a configuration that includes the WebUtil settings.  Open Internet Explorer and enter a URL like this (assuming your servers are running)

http://server:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=webutil&form=myNewForm

Jessica BoggiaJessica BoggiaF.MatzSANPAT

Answers

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,854 Employee
    edited Feb 11, 2020 5:25PM Accepted Answer

Jessica,

For the most part, many demos have been removed from download access via OTN.  Some still remain, but gradually most will be removed.  If you have a copy claiming to be from v11 there is no reason it won't work in v12.

Regarding the "configuration", in v12 there is very little configuration required for WebUtil.  About the only configuring you need to do is the following:

1.  Run the create_webutil_db.sql script.  Found in ORACLE_HOME\forms.  Before executing this, consider that anyone attempting to generate a WebUtil enabled module will need access to the objects it creates.  Similar is true at runtime for the users.  So be sure to either run the script against a schema everyone has grants to or do create a new schema like "webutil" and grant access to everyone.

Also, just because you may have done this once before in the past do not assume you don't need to do it again.  This script was updated in 12.2.1.4.  In order to benefit from its changes you must rerun it.

2.  Generate webutil.plx from webutil.pll found in ORACLE_HOME\forms.  Do not copy this file from an earlier release.  You must use the one provided in the installation.

3.  Download 1.18-M2 of JACOB (third party library).  You can use a newer version, but using a different version will require additional changes in the WebUtil configuration.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/jacob-project/files/jacob-project/

Once you have downloaded the JACOB zip file extract its contents.  Copy the  ...x64.dll to Oracle_Home\forms\webutil\win64 and ...x86.dll to Oracle_Home\forms\webutil\win32

The jacob.jar file will need to be signed using a trusted and known certificate.  Refer to the Java documentation for "jarsigner" if you are not familiar with signing JAR files.  Once signed, copy the signed JAR to Oracle_Home\forms\java (if WLS_FORMS is already running you will need to bounce it)

If you are planning to create a form from scratch and do not plan to use the OLE functionality (e.g. integration with MS Office), you can skip step 3.  However, when creating the new form, be sure to use the Object Group "WEBUTIL_NO_OLE" when adding it to the form.

pastedImage_3.png

For the most part, the above steps should get you the basics.  All you need now is a working form.  If you want to use file upload/download you will need to enable it in the WebUtil configuration.

To create the form simply do this:

1.  Copy or subclass the Object Group I mentioned above into your new form.

2.  Attach webutil.pll to your form (remember that you generated the plx earlier/above).

3.  Add whatever else you want to the form.

4.  Compile all the form's pl/sql (Ctrl+Shift+K) then Save then Compile Module (Ctrl+T)

To run the form you will need a configuration that includes the WebUtil settings.  Open Internet Explorer and enter a URL like this (assuming your servers are running)

http://server:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=webutil&form=myNewForm

Jessica BoggiaJessica BoggiaF.MatzSANPAT
  • Frank Hoffmann
    Frank Hoffmann Member Posts: 791 Gold Badge
    edited Feb 11, 2020 6:21PM

Hi,

you could download the sources from here.. demo(1)

https://Forms-demo.com

Frank

User_3IXTHJessica Boggia
  • SANPAT
    SANPAT Member Posts: 1,078 Silver Badge

Dear Michael

I am trying to run the webutil-demo program, and followed all your given instruction , now i am getting the following error msg, can you please guide how to resolve this .

Sanjay

@SPathak Looking at your screenshot, you have either done one of two (or more) things incorrectly:

1. You did not perform a Compile All PL/SQL on the module before Saving then generating the FMW.
    2. You are trying to run from the Builder, which is not configured to run with the [webutil]configuration. If you are trying to run with FSAL, you will need to use the config section named [webutil_standaloneapp] or create your own similar to it.

• SANPAT
    SANPAT Member Posts: 1,078 Silver Badge

Dear Michael

Opened the file in form builder , after compiling the file run the form. Initially it was showing timer error which was resolved but later unable to run any of the options in the tab.

sanjay

Sanjay,

As mentioned, likely you are either not running the form with the needed configuration settings or you have not generated the module correctly. Also ensure that you have generated webutil.plx from webutil.pll. This PLX must exist and be located in the FORMS_PATH.

To generate a WebUtil enabled app do the following:

1. Compile All PL/SQL (Shift+Ctrl+K)
    2. Save the module (Ctrl+S)
    3. Generate the runnable executable (Ctrl+T)

As mentioned, if you are trying to run directly from the Builder, you still need to perform the above steps AND you must change your Application Server URL to properly include a configuration that includes the WebUtil settings.

F.Matz