Forum Stats

• 3,758,142 Users
  • 2,251,342 Discussions
  • 7,870,062 Comments

Discussions

Request help for configuring ORDS for Oracle DB 11g XE Release 11.2.0.2.0

Hello Friends,

I am trying to install and configure ORDS for Oracle DB 11g XE Release 2.

I have also installed Oracle APEX version 19.2 in the same db. Oracle APEX is working fine.

When I referred oracle documentation, https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37099_01/doc.20/e25066/install.htm#AELIG7180

using the above link, then under 1.4.2 it says that when we install Oracle APEX the following users are created:

1) APEX_PUBLIC_USER

2) APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER

3) APEX_LISTENER

But in my installation of APEX, only APEX_PUBLIC_USER is created and the other two are not created.

I have referred many documentations and You Tube videos, but no where I could find a step by step process. It will really help me if you can point to a document where the entire process is shown in a step-by-step way.

Thanks & Regards

Hawker

Tagged:

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 7,977 Employee
  • HawkerHunter
    HawkerHunter Member Posts: 497 Bronze Badge

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply. I shall upgrade my APEX to 21.2. But is my database 11g XE Release 2 good for this?

Regards

Hawker

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

APEX is not ORDS, ORDS is not APEX.

APEX is installed into your database. Is 11 XE Release 2 good? Well, it's like 10 years old, it's free, and you can do with it what you want. Would I use it? No. I'd probably use 18c XE or an Always Free Database on Oracle Cloud.

If you want APEX advice, see the APEX forum. For ORDS, we recommend latest version regardless of version of Oracle DB or APEX you're using - as long as you're on 11gR2 or Apex 5.1 or higher (you should really be on a version that starts with 19 or 20).

• HawkerHunter

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I understand that irrespective of APEX we can install ORDS in the database.

While installing ORDS in my database (11gR2) at first I used the script "apex_rest_config.sql" to create “APEX_LISTENER” and “APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER” in my database. I took the script "apex_rest_config.sql" from the APEX folder and have realized that on installing Oracle APEX this script is not used and we have to explicitly execute this script if we want to install ORDS in our database. After that I used the downloaded ords.war file to install ORDS in my database.

After installing ORDS, I had created one user "developer_user" using the command: Java -jar ords.war user developer_user “SQL Developer”

After that I had selected one of my Schemas and went to "Rest Services">>"Enable Rest Services". After that I had Rest Enabled a few Database tables in the above schema. Used the endpoint in Postman and it properly showed up the data in JSON structure. So the AutoREST was working fine.

After that I went to SQL Developer Tools>>Rest Data Services>>Manage Connections and created a connection under the development tab by using the above created "developer_user".

Then in the "Rest Development" pane in the SQL Developer when I click on to the "connect' icon and choose the connection I have just created and put the password it says "Cannot connect to connection".

Can you please help me to know if there is any way to check why I am not able to connect.

Regards

Hawker

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

yeah, just don't use that interface, it's deprecated

we recommend you use ORDS itself to develop your REST APIs

login to Database Actions with your rest enabled schema, then go to the REST workshop

or in SQL Developer Desktop, use the connection tree and the RESTful Services node under your connection/schema (that you have REST enabled)

• HawkerHunter

Hi Jeff,

you said you recommend me to use ORDS itself to develop my REST APIs. Do you mean using the following?

Regards

Hawker

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

No, that's APEX. And for APEX developers's it's very very good. But many of our users do not use APEX. So we built a native ORDS solution for doing ORDS development.

I mean this -

Docs

• HawkerHunter

Hi Jeff,

it pretty much looks like the SQL Workshop taken out of Oracle APEX for non APEX users.

Now that I have installed ORDS, I guess this will be available to me?

Can you please let me know the url to open the Oracle Database Actions page.

My installation is localhost:8080/ords which opens Oracle APEX.

Regards

Hawker

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

It's more like SQL Developer - ported to a single page web application, delivered by ORDS. This is why it was originally launched as SQL Developer Web.

localhost:8080/ords/sql-developer

when prompted for a user name, provide one that's been REST enabled

• HawkerHunter

Hi Jeff,

it's returning me 404.

Is there anything I have to deploy in Apache Tomcat?

Regards

Hawker