• 2,252,932 Discussions
  • 7,874,951 Comments

Discussions

JNLP Webstart Applet Window not closing on exit

Marnus
Marnus Member Posts: 16 Bronze Badge
edited Sep 3, 2021 12:10PM in Forms

Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue with JNLP. I've created a new form with a canvas, a block and a button. The buttons calls the build-in exit-form. The form closes but the Applet Window stays active.

Oracle Forms 12.2.1.4 / Java Version 8 Update 201 (build 1.8.0_201-b09)

Any suggestion?

Thank in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,894 Employee
    edited Sep 3, 2021 12:18PM

Although it likely won't make much of a difference, 8u201 is not a certified Java version to use with Forms 12.2.1.4. You must use 8u211 or newer. I recommend using the latest (always), which currently is 8u301. Refer to the Supported System Configuration Guide (aka Cert Matrix) for details.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/fmw-122140-certmatrix-5763476.xlsx

If a newer Java version does not help then I would ask if you made any configuration changes related to how the form is launched. If so, which and what settings did you use.

Also, how are you launching the application ? Browser URL, command line, static JNLP file stored locally, static JNLP stored on the server, etc??

In most cases, this type of failure is the result of the application crashing on exit. Try regenerating the module using the compile_all=yes option. This can also be done in the Builder by executing the following (in this order); Shift+Ctrl+K then Ctrl+S then Ctrl+T

It is important to note that the FMX files are NOT portable. You must generate them on the machine where you plan to run them. Generating them on a different machine then moving them can result in unpredictable behavior as you are seeing.

• Marnus

Hi Michael,

Apologies for the late reply, I did not get notified of your reply.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll work through your recommendations above and get back to you.

• Marnus

Hi @Michael Ferrante-Oracle

I've updated my local machine to the latest version of Java and we recompiled the form using compile_all=yes on the server, however the window is still not closing.

I'm launching the application by pasting the jnlps URL directly into a Chrome browser.

I was told that we are using the default configuration, are there any specific configurations that I can share to assist us resolving this issue?

Thanks

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,894 Employee

Something must be causing the server (or client) to crash on exit. Search the user machine for files that start with hs_err_pid (e.g. hs_err_pid1234.log). These are jvm dump files that usually result when the jvm crashes. On the server, a crash of the Forms Runtime (frmweb) would generate a crash log named something like this: frmweb_dump_<PID NUMBER>

The contents of these files may help to understand the root of the problem.

If your server is a Unix/Linux platform, I strongly recommend that you review the System Requirements Guide and ensure you have properly prepared your machine before installing the software. Ensuring the appropriate OS patches are installed is very important.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/12.2.1.4/sysrs