• 2,267,083 Discussions
  • 7,912,479 Comments

Discussions

Create Global Index on Interval partitioned tables

User_NY02I
User_NY02I Member Posts: 360 Blue Ribbon
edited Dec 2, 2021 10:05AM in General Database Discussions

Hi All,

I am looking for ways to create a Global Index on Interval partitioned table I have looked up over internet but did not found any helpful document about it.

Below is the partitioning Key which we have defined on table.

PARTITION BY RANGE ("DATE_SITU") INTERVAL (NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'DAY')) 

(PARTITION "PART_10_OCT_2014_MVT_HBFR_H" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2014-10-11 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN'))

and the table has more than at present 57 partitions on it.

I am doing this activity in order to check the tuning option for refresh of a MVIEW as it is taking time and DBA suggested me to try Global index.

Please let me know if more information is required from me.

Answers

• User_H3J7U
    User_H3J7U Member Posts: 1,062 Gold Trophy

I am looking for ways to create a Global Index on Interval partitioned table

For global index do not specify the keyword LOCAL. For global partitioned index also specify partition clause.

I have looked up over internet but did not found any helpful document about it.

docs.oracle.com SQL Language Reference for your version/CREATE INDEX

• User_NY02I

I tried below but it gives error.

CREATE INDEX idx_datesitu_global ON CRAFT_MVT_HBFR_H (DATE_SITU)

GLOBAL PARTITION BY RANGE ("DATE_SITU") INTERVAL (NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'DAY')) 

(PARTITION "PART_10_OCT_2014_MVT_HBFR_H" VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE(' 2014-10-11 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIAN')));

• User_H3J7U
    User_H3J7U Member Posts: 1,062 Gold Trophy
    edited Dec 2, 2021 3:20PM

The documentation does not assume an interval keyword for indexes.

The global partitioning of single column index has meaning only for index fast full scan. You can create partitions manually and check the performance gain.

Why do you need to create global partitions the same as the table??

• User_NY02I

Why do you need to create global partitions the same as the table??

I want to create global as the partitioning of table is based on each day and the query on this table look for data in atleast for a month i.e. the query would look into 30 partitions.

the partitions are created automatically each day based on intervals i.e. why i want to use same as table otherwise in real scenario how will i add new created partitions in Global Index ?