Forum Stats

• 3,828,061 Users
  • 2,260,856 Discussions
  • 7,897,443 Comments

Discussions

SQL Developper 21.4.1 gives IO error while 19.2.1.247 works fine same settings

JiF Brodeur
JiF Brodeur Member Posts: 41 Bronze Badge

Hi, while running on Windows 10(We tried three different Windows machine same issue), the most recent version of SQL Developer can't connect to a remote (on Oracle Cloud DB) database using SQL*Net port 1521.

Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond, Authentication lapse 0 ms.

The exact same setting works fine on 19.2, btw same error on SQL Developer 21.2.1.

SQL Devloper 21.4.1 on macOS works fine on the same network.

Thanks

Jean-François Brodeur

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,620 Employee

>>can't connect to a remote (on Oracle Cloud DB)

Please tell us more about this database.

Also, the only real difference between those versions in terms of connections is the JDBC driver. It would be interesting to see what happens if you try to connect to your Cloud database using SQLcl 21.4.

• JiF Brodeur

Hi Jeff, thanks for helping, the DB is a v19.3 running on an Oracle Linux 8, in a virtual machine and we would like to do an SQL*Net connection to do our development. Same error using sqlcl v21.4 on Windows with the following connection string  sql [email protected]_address:1521/pdb1 as sysdba.

Again it works fine on a mac using the same version and connection information.

Thanks

Jean-François

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

So no firewalls, private endpoints, bastions, ssh tunnels...and you can ping the machine?

I think you need to open a Service Request with My Oracle Support. I'd also still like to hear if SQLcl on the same Windows machine (it's in the sqldev bin directory) can connect.

• JiF Brodeur

Hi Jeff, interestingly enough on the same Windows machine where SQL Dev 19.2 works, the sqlcl version 19.2.1 also works.

There are firewalls between us and our Cloud DB, but they are properly configured and the fact that older version of SQL Dev and my mac works, seems to confirm this fact.

A change seems to have occur when SQL Dev/SQLcl were bump up to version 20.x. Since we installed and tried SQL Dev 20.2 and it does not work either, same error message.

Thanks

Jean-François Brodeur

• JiF Brodeur

Hi Jeff, we dug a little more into this issue and oddly enough even TNS connection does not work, with version of SQL Dev higher than 19.2, something in the networking of SQL Dev seems to be at play, what do you think, shall I create a SR, btw if you need us to test something or provide a log of some sort we will gladly help since we want to use this configuration with 3 or 4 more users at JBM.

Thanks

Jean-François Brodeur

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Again, I come back to the JDBC drivers, they have changed between those versions mentioned. SQLcl version 20.2 - what does that do?

• JiF Brodeur

I was under the impression that using the TNS connection would bypass the JDBC drivers. So there might be a timing issue with the drivers, so an SR is the last thing we should try?

Thanks

Jean-François

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The only way to do what you're describing is to enable OCI for the application OR connection. IF you use TNS Connect Identifier, that can also trip a 'Thick Connection' - but most people use Network Alias, and that's 100% JDBC Thin.

• JiF Brodeur

Hi Jeff, let me thank you immensly for your assistance, I've created an SR.

Have a nice evening

Jean-François