• 7,900,768 Comments

Discussions

How to check if a procedure is currently running with a specific parameter

rjsosi
rjsosi Member Posts: 245 Bronze Badge
edited Feb 2, 2022 4:38PM in SQL & PL/SQL

Hi,

We're using "Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0"

We are trying to build a retry process for some input record but I am looking for an ability to check and see if the record is already being processed in Oracle before trying to reprocess the same record.

The process will be calling procedure with a control id. Can I find out in oracle if a specific stored procedure is processing with a specific input parameter at the current time?

So is there a table that stores a list of currently running or recently run procedures with specific parameters.

I know you'd be able to see it in Oracle Dynamic performance views but my knowledge there is not as up to date.

Would anyone with a better knowledge of those tables be able to help out here?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• User_H3J7U
    User_H3J7U Member Posts: 1,062 Gold Trophy
    Answer ✓

Lock the row in target table at beginning of processing: select ... for update nowait/wait.

rjsosi
  • rjsosi

Thanks User_H3J7U, for that!

So one we've applied that statement I'm assuming we'd be able to tell that record is already being processed by checking if those rows are currently locked or not.

Would you or anyone have any queries I could use to monitor for this?

...Or at lease the V$ views or DBA tables I'd be using?

Thanks Again!

• dvohra21
    dvohra21 Member Posts: 14,618 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 2, 2022 11:46PM

If the parameter is persistently stored, Find from the views:

3.81 ALL_STORED_SETTINGS

ALL_STORED_SETTINGS provides information about the persistent parameter settings for stored PL/SQL units for which the current user has execute privileges.

Related Views

• DBA_STORED_SETTINGS lists information about the persistent parameter settings for stored PL/SQL units for which the current user has execute privileges. It also returns parameter information for all objects in the database and is accessible only to users with the SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE privilege.
    • USER_STORED_SETTINGS lists information about the persistent parameter settings for stored PL/SQL units, but only shows information about PL/SQL units owned by the current user. This view does not display the OWNER column.

PARAM_NAME

VARCHAR2(128)

NOT NULL

The name of the parameter stored persistently with the PL/SQL unit

PARAM_VALUE

VARCHAR2(4000)

The TO_CHAR() representation of the value of the persistently stored parameter. The width of this column is operating system dependent; however, it is never less than 255.

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/REFRN/GUID-65105E97-6D40-43ED-B055-079BA0BDBF69.htm#REFRN20256

• BEDE
    BEDE Oracle Developer Member Posts: 2,454 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 3, 2022 9:09AM

For such things I used select for update nowait. So, the first instance of the procedure running locks that row, while the second instance attempting to lock the row will fail and raise an exception. You handle that particular exception by having the procedure pass to processing another row or simply return.

If you do need to commit without losing the lock you may do it by calling a procedure with pragma autonomous_transaction. But beware how you use autonomous transactions: when called from a procedure that has an opened cursor, the fetches from that opened cursor will not see the changes operated by the autonomous transaction.

Otherwise, if you are to see the current bind variables for a SQL, look into sys.GV_$SQL_BIND_CAPTURE.

• rjsosi

Hi Bede,

Does sys.GV_$SQL_BIND_CAPTURE. show variable values from processes that have run?

In other words if I have an anonymous block like the following:

set serveroutput on
    DECLARE
    v_stuff varchar2(100):='/bin/env';
    BEGIN
      SLDPROC.parse_clob(SLDPROC.SHELL(v_stuff));
    END;

Is there some V$ view I can use to see the values of either 'v_stuff' or the values passed to the SLDPROC.SHELL function or the value passed to the SLDPROC.parse_clob procudure?

• User_H3J7U
    User_H3J7U Member Posts: 1,062 Gold Trophy
    BEGIN
      dbms_application_info.set_action(substrb('v_stuff='||v_stuff,1,64));
      dbms_application_info.set_action(null);
    exception when others
      raise;
    END;

• rjsosi

Hi User_H3J7U,

So when I run your script I just get the end result the parse_clob script returns.

I'm not getting the value of the variable 'v_stuff'.

I had to add a declaration for the variable for 'v_stuff' in the script as follows:

DECLARE
      v_stuff varchar2(100):='/bin/whoami';
    BEGIN
     dbms_application_info.set_action(substrb('v_stuff='||v_stuff,1,64));
    exception when others
    then
     raise;
    END;

I was hoping to see the value of '/bin/whoami'.

Instead I'm getting the following output:

oracle
     PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Where does this procedure store the value of '/bin/whoami' so I can access it?

• dvohra21
    dvohra21 Member Posts: 14,618 Gold Crown
  • CarlosDLG
    CarlosDLG Member Posts: 1,378 Gold Trophy

The information you store by calling DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.set_action can be read querying the v$session view:

SELECT sid
        , serial#
        , username
        , osuser
        , module
        , action
        , client_info
    FROM v$session
    WHERE username = '<your-username>';    --or some other filtering criteria

But since after executing the parse_clob procedure you are setting the action back to NULL, you would only see it while the procedure is running.

• CarlosDLG
    CarlosDLG Member Posts: 1,378 Gold Trophy

BTW, if you are going to instrument your code to log/store things like these, you might want to consider using something like Logger.