Forum Stats

• 3,837,059 Users
  • 2,262,222 Discussions
  • 7,900,192 Comments

Discussions

ORDS Installation Advice - CDB vs. PDB, w/ or w/out APEX

I have a 19c database with 3 PDBs (DEV, TEST and DEMO) that support an ongoing research project that will span the next 2-3 years. I have decided to start experimenting with ORDS in order to expose PL/SQL stored procedures as REST-enabled APIs to various proof-of-concept web applications. Note that these web applications also follow the DEV, TEST and DEMO model.

I am new to ORDS, so after reviewing the documentation, my first instinct is to install ORDS at the PDB-level (not the CDB) for flexibility and not to install APEX as I simply do not have the need for APEX at this time (although it might be interesting to experiment with at a later date).

Given that ORDS traces its origins back to APEX, I am curious if my installation plan is sound or if I should consider installing ORDS at the CDB level or if I should install APEX. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences/opinions.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,687 Employee
    Answer ✓

I am new to ORDS, so after reviewing the documentation, my first instinct is to install ORDS at the PDB-level (not the CDB) for flexibility and not to install APEX as I simply do not have the need for APEX at this time (although it might be interesting to experiment with at a later date).

👌

PDB installs are easier/more flexible, and you can always add APEX later as you need it.

Answers