• 7,904,906 Comments

Discussions

Want to learn PLSQL

User_5ZUSJ
User_5ZUSJ Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
edited Jul 25, 2022 6:43AM in SQL & PL/SQL

Hi,

Greentings!!

I am new to Software explored few options in SQL through w3schools. Can anyone please suggest on the best site/guide to explore hands on experience in PLSQL.

Thanks in advance

cheers

Answers

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,311 Red Diamond

This community is probably the best site to learn and practice real-world PL/SQL coding.

There are many websites out there that will proclaim to give you PL/SQL lessons etc. but many are either a) full of mistakes or b) just give examples that are not real-world coding issues or c) just use poor code examples that are not best practice (i.e. written by amateurs) or d) any combination of the previous.

Personally I would recommend doing Oracle's own course for the fundamentals of the language...

and then practice at solving real world issues by looking at what people ask on this community and having a go yourself, whilst learning from the solutions the existing experts give.

Myself, when I came to learn PL/SQL, I already had experience of other databases (Ingres, Sybase, Cobol) and programming languages that work with them (ABF, Forms, PowerBuilder, Cobol etc.), as well as other non-database languages before that, but even though I had a reference manual for PL/SQL (Steven Feuerstein's book is very good reference) I still attended Oracle University (in person) to do their PL/SQL Fundamentals and PL/SQL Advanced course) and that allowed me to apply my previous coding knowledge to the different syntax and understand many of the best practices and approaches to coding it. Then, being on this community, having a go at solving other people's issues and doing my own job, and reading the documentation and trying things, have all contributed to my growing knowledge... and I'm still learning new stuff now.

3rd party courses (online or in person) are very hit and miss, and many are just trying to make money by giving the impression they're teaching you stuff, whilst really they are trying to advertise and get you to buy their books or suchlike.... so beware.

• Marcus B
    Marcus B Member Posts: 52 Bronze Badge
    edited Jul 27, 2022 6:20PM

I am new to Software...

It is not clear how much experience you have with data bases, development tools or programming languages. I have been writing PL/SQL for many years in my role as a DBA and Steve Feuerstein was my mentor through the many PL/SQL books he wrote. I remember how overwhelming it was to get started and thought I would see the current state of training on the internet. A simple search took me to a site that does a great job of explaining Oracle including PL/SQL, https://www.oracletutorial.com/ . Scroll down the home page to see the link to PL/SQL. The tutorials are written in an excellent progressive approach that is great for any beginner. I do not have any affiliation with this web site and I can't tell who sponsors it, but it is an excellent starting place for a beginner.

I would recommend using SQL Developer as an excellent and free development tool. You can download the latest version from Oracle, https://www.oracle.com/database/sqldeveloper/technologies/download/ .

• User_XLDZP
    User_XLDZP Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Thank you for the links.

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 10,674 Blue Diamond

Just making sure you understand what you are asking.

You are aware that PLSQL is not the name of the SQL version (dialect) used by Oracle Database - or aren't you?

In any case, if you are new to "this" (whatever "this" means), you should not start with PL/SQL. You should learn SQL first - possibly the Oracle SQL version, which is in many respects the most advanced and well-developed. Only after you have a good understanding of basic SQL, should you start leaning PL/SQL, which is an add-on on top of Oracle SQL.

PL/SQL is essentially an imperative programming language (with some rudimentary elements of object-oriented programming), it is not SQL. If you only want to learn "procedural" ("imperative", "structured") programming, unrelated to SQL, there are much better languages - C is a perennial example (and favorite of many). Similarly for object-oriented programming. PL/SQL is only useful if you use it along with Oracle SQL - and keep in mind that it does, indeed, only work with Oracle SQL, not with other dialects (not even with MySQL, which is another product of the same corporation, Oracle).

If you meant to say "Oracle SQL", then that's what you should say; don't confuse it with PLSQL.

• User_JN3AO
    User_JN3AO Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    The oracle has a great base for learning, plus someone to discuss the issue with.

• Marcus B

If you are wanting to learn the Oracle Database, as MathGuy asked, the link I gave is a good starting point as it starts with explaining what a database is and what Oracle Database Server is. It includes lessons on installation, basic SQL, PL/SQL, advanced SQL functions and database administration. Give us some feedback and mark the best answer.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,311 Red Diamond

@Marcus B

Give us some feedback and mark the best answer.

Please make yourself aware of the forum rules around "Begging for points"

• Marcus B

Please make yourself aware of the forum rules around "Begging for points"

I apologize if it looked like I was begging for points. I am retired. Why do I need any points? My motivation is to try to help. As I read through the forums I am amazed at the number of people who have received good answers but they have not marked that answer correct or clarified their question. I think I will go through the questions I have asked and make sure I have marked the best answer as correct.

L. Fernigrini