• 2,266,379 Discussions
  • 7,911,047 Comments

Discussions

Stop pump from target host

User_ZQ067
User_ZQ067 Member Posts: 4 Green Ribbon
edited Aug 17, 2022 4:48PM in GoldenGate

Hello,

Target host got rebooted without pumps being stopped, resulting in lots of corrupted / incomplete trail files. Target host receives multiple trail files from multiple sources so coordinating with all of them to stop to the pumps before target host gets rebooted is not an easy task.

I couldn't find a manager / data collector command to gracefully stop the pumps.

Is there a way to stop the pumps from the target host without killing (kill -9) the "./server" processes (as that would result in corrupted trails too) ?

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• K.Gan
    K.Gan Member Posts: 2,829 Bronze Crown

Start a static collector process manually, i.e. not using mgrport but port on the extract side. When starting the collector (server executable program), use the -f option. See collector parameters in the reference.

• User_ZQ067

Got it, thank you very much!

• AlexLima-Oracle
    AlexLima-Oracle Director of Product Management - GoldenGate Posts: 28 Employee

We don't have that functionality out of the box in Classic Architecture. You could create a script from the target to ssh to source and stop the pump if that's what you mean.

BTW, Microservices architecture resolves this problem. You should consider migrating.

Thanks,

Alex Lima

• User_ZQ067

I don't have access to the source hosts, but it's good to know Microservices is an option.

Thank you!

AlexLima-Oracle
  • AlexLima-Oracle

So, the only way for you to stop the PUMP from the target will be to stop OGG completely, which will stop the server process and kill the connection from PUMP.

On the source, since the PUMP will present ABENDED.

• User_ZQ067

Yeah, but killing the server processes to stop the connection results in a corrupted trail file (missing end-of-transaction)

It would be good to add some functionality to the collector / mgr in the TARGET host to send a signal to the PUMP to gracefully stop it, even if it would result in the pump being ABENDED - ERROR OGG-XXXXX collector terminated by target :)

Anyway, seems like unfortunately I'm out of options, it's either requesting all sources to stop the pumps or migrating to Microservices.

Thank you again, Alex!

• AlexLima-Oracle

No, not necessary. Since you still have the trail files in the source, you can re-transmit them without any corruption.

If you have deleted the source trail files, then yes, you are hosted. That's why I always recommend keeping the trail file for a # of days.

There will be no functionality like this added to Classic Architecture, as it has been deprecated.

Thanks,

Alex