Forum Stats

• 3,875,722 Users
  • 2,266,954 Discussions
  • 7,912,318 Comments

Discussions

Forgot my user name & password - how do i find out what they are?

628665 Member Posts: 17
edited Oct 16, 2018 1:13PM in General Database Discussions
Hello

I think this will be a really simple post for someone.

I downloaded oracle and installed it on my pc about 4 months ago for uni - We are now revisiting the suject.

I booted up forms designer and then wanted to run an sql script - however I cant even remember what my username or password is for connection - How can i retrive this - are there any standard ones?

Please help- thanks

Comments

• Aman....
    Aman.... Member Posts: 22,919 Gold Crown
    Well the usernames are shown in the dba_users's username column. You can see from there that which user was created and you can use it. For the passwords, there is a password colunm in the same view but its encrypted so you wont be getting any benefit from it. What I suggest is that you use , "alter user username identified by password" command and change the password of that user.
    Aman....
  • sgalaxy
    sgalaxy Member Posts: 5,708 Bronze Trophy
    " How can i retrive this - are there any standard ones?"
    In case you selected some sample schemas to be installed during the db installation there is , at least one:
    username SCOTT , password TIGER

Greetings...
    Sim
    THanks mate

where can I view this table of users??

Really sorry!
  • stevencallan
    stevencallan Member Posts: 3,459
    edited Oct 16, 2018 1:13PM
    Buy a book and start reading. You can also browse through the documentation instead of installing this stuff and expecting people to give you "how do I connect 101" lessons.
    Hang on a minute mate

Im a total novice at this subject and I am needing help - hence comming onto this forum.

I have read through some documentation - If you actually read the issues i have posted on this site they do not comply with oracle documentation:

My system needed to increase vitual memory/paging files in my firts post
    I cant remember user name password - i have looked for this and find nothing!!

So sorry for wasting your presious time - im just glad other people help out instead of idiots like yourself
  • Aman....
    edited Mar 15, 2008 12:32PM
    hi,
    do this.
    $sqlplus/nolog
    sql>connect / as sysdba
    sql>desc dba_users
    sql>select username,password from dba_users;
    Aman....
    Aman im really sorry but where???

I cannot even log into sql plus?

Ill try the SCOTT and TIGER and see if that works - many thanks
  • Aman....
    Hey no need to be sorry mate.Its a tech discussion between two professionals and its no crime when one doesn't know about some thing. I too don't know anything about Oracle so chill :-).
    Well about your error, you are on the server or on a client? If you are on a client, you need to supply the right username and password wth a right service name to connect to the server. If you are on the server than you can come to the command prompt of the server o/s and issue the commands that I gave you.
    Scott/tiger should work provided that schema was created when the db was installed.
    Aman....
  • Madrid
    Madrid Member Posts: 7,573
    Ok, you have lost your Username and password.

You can enter a sqlplus session with sysdba privileges and reset the password.

1. Connect as sysdba from the command line:

sqlplus / as sysdba

2. Once you are in a sqlplus prompt issue the reset command:
    SQL> alter user scott identified by tiger account unlock;

It all depends on which user you are unlocking. If you created a default database, then you have several other demo accounts which remain locked, HR, SH, OE, PM.

If you require a new account, then you must create a new user. Look for the CREATE USER command to accomplish this task.

~ Madrid

http://hrivera99.blogspot.com/
    247514 Member Posts: 10,875 Bronze Trophy
    edited Mar 15, 2008 9:44PM
    Aman im really sorry but where???

I cannot even log into sql plus?

Ill try the SCOTT and TIGER and see if that works -
    many thanks
    I am sorry to say, but that's the reason why you are asked to read Oracle document. if you have difficult to understand how to run sqlplus and login as sysdba. Then that implies you didn't spend your time do your due diligent to understand some basis of Oracle administration.

Of course someone might willing to spend time baby feed you with the command and SQL but without knowing your environment that's not very efficient way to learn and get things done correct ?
This discussion has been closed.