Forum Stats

• 3,826,580 Users
  • 2,260,667 Discussions
  • 7,897,010 Comments

Discussions

Jinitiator "Applet Started"

618455 Member Posts: 9
edited Oct 23, 2008 9:00AM in Forms
We have recently upgraded a 3rd party system we use (and have had no problems with previously) which runs on Forms and Jinitiator as shown below:

Previous Setup: Jinitiator 1.1.8.16 / Oracle Forms 6i / Oracle 9i
Upgraded Setup: Jinitiator 1.3.1.28 / Oracle Forms 10 / Oracle 10g

This new upgraded set up works successfully on around 50% of our machines, although the rest of our users receive only a white screen with an "Applet Started" message on the Internet Explorer status bar. The machines that fail to work all appear to be Windows 2000 machines with IE6, although other machines on Windows 2000 with IE6 work fine, so I don't think there is a compatability issue with any software.

The Jinitiator console log stops at the following message:
"RegisterWebUtil - Loading WebUtil Version 10.1.2.2"

I had thought that permissions could be a problem as some machines have limited access rights, but even when logging in as the machine's administrator account I still get the same white screen and status bar message.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing these problems?

thanks, Jonathan
Tagged:

Answers

• Tony Garabedian
    Tony Garabedian Member Posts: 3,375
    This got solved with us by using a newer version of IE more compatible, with the JInitiator or JRE. I don't know if it's the same case iwth you but you may try it.

Tony
  • If you are using Jinitator then try setting the console logging to 5. (just hit 5 in the jinit console). You should at least get some trace information which might help. Bottom line, if it works on one client and not another, you need to look at the differences in client machine - possibly permission, or version of installed software - or maybe they are on a different subnet???
    Grant Ronald-Oracle
    edited Oct 22, 2008 6:34AM
    Console log with trace level set to 5 is attached below, don't know if it'll be of any use!
    thanks, Jonathan

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unregistered modality listener
    Doing a join...
    Sending events to applet. STOP
    Removed trace listener: sun.plugin.ocx.ActiveXAppletViewer[oracle.forms.webutil.common.RegisterWebUtil,0,0,1x1,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout]
    Sending events to applet. DESTROY
    Sending events to applet. DISPOSE
    Sending events to applet. QUIT
    Done with join ...
    Finding information...
    Releasing classloader: [email protected], refcount=0
    Caching classloader: [email protected]
    Current classloader cache size: 1
    Done...
    Registered modality listener
    Referencing classloader: [email protected], refcount=1
    Added trace listener: sun.plugin.ocx.ActiveXAppletViewer[oracle.forms.webutil.common.RegisterWebUtil,0,0,1x1,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout]
    Sending events to applet. LOAD
    Sending events to applet. INIT
    Sending events to applet. START
    RegisterWebUtil - Loading WebUtil Version 10.1.2.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------
  • I'd expect to see a bit more for a level 5 trace, are you sure you preseed 5 and then run the Form without closing the browser?- do you get the same issue with a simple default form (no webutil)

What about
    http://<machinename>:8890/forms/frmservlet does that display?
    Grant Ronald wrote:
    I'd expect to see a bit more for a level 5 trace, are you sure you preseed 5 and then run the Form without closing the browser?- do you get the same issue with a simple default form (no webutil)

What about
    http://<machinename>:8890/forms/frmservlet does that display?
    I have tried running the /frm/frmservlet form and get the exact same trace, it is definitely set to trace level 5. On a working machine I do get a massive trace log, but this seems to stop at the 'Loading Webutil' line.

thanks, Jonathan
  • which takes us to "does a simple one button form" with no attached libs work?
    With the call just to the frmservlet, does the servlet confirmation screen appear?
  • Tony Garabedian
    Grant,

One of our clients had a similar problem, it was related with the browser version and add-ons, I can't remember the exact versions now, but for sure IE 5 did not work, some browsers with google/yahoo and other toolbars also didn't work.

Tony
    Tony Garabedian
    Grant Ronald wrote:
    which takes us to "does a simple one button form" with no attached libs work?
    With the call just to the frmservlet, does the servlet confirmation screen appear?
    Nope, still just a white screen with 'Applet Started' unfortunately. The machine I am testing with is almost a clean install of Windows 2k, with no IE add-ons installed.
  • CraigB
    CraigB Member Posts: 5,746
    Jonathan,
    Are all of the workstations Windows 2000? Are all workstations using the same version of IE? As Tony mentioned, if the user has installed the Google or Yahoo toolbars (or any toolbar that has Popup blocking capabilities) this could cause the blank white screen. The blank white screen is commonly caused by a Popup blocker. An easy test for Popups is to hold the Ctrl key down when you click on the link to your application. If your Forms app opens in runs then you know the Java Applet window is being blocked by a popup blocker.

Also, if your users have different version of IE installed, take note of the version which works and the version that doesn't. It is best to have them all up to at least IE 6 (with all security patches installed).

Hope this helps.
    Craig...
    CraigB
  • Tony Garabedian
    Try a different browser, Firefox maybe, or Install IE 6 with the latest patch or IE 7, the problem my client faced was due to IE version, Installing clean browsers with no add-ons toolbars etc...... worked.

Since a one-button form still didn't work then it's definitely a browser version issue. Try a different (newer, cleaner) version

Tony
    Tony Garabedian
This discussion has been closed.