• 2,262,343 Discussions
  • 7,900,552 Comments

Discussions

ADF - Mobile Dev Question - BB MobileClient vs ViewController

jstem1177
jstem1177 Member Posts: 371
edited Sep 10, 2010 10:28AM in JDeveloper and ADF
Hello All,

I'm really new to to ADF and Mobile Developement and have gone through a few of the introductory tutorials and I have a simple question.
I noticed that when I create a project (goal is to deploy on BB), the tutorials show that you use a Mobile Client for the UI and Model for the the app itself.
I then went through a tutorial which uses the ViewControl, and generates the JSF pages, and has some really amazing UI components.

So here is the question. I terms of deployment, and let me precise that I need mobile server sync, must i stick to basic MobileClient + Model or can I go with Model+ViewController. What is the major difference? Is it that the basic one use the the BB java platform where is the ViewController uses the built in browser as the container for my app.

Thanks in advance for links, responses, explanations.

Jan
Tagged:

Answers

• jstem1177
    Hello All,

Can anybody answer this question? I'm really new to this and would just like to be clear on whether the same sync and mobile server is available when I develop using a a ViewController, versus simple Mobile UI ?

Thanks

Jan
  • Frank Nimphius-Oracle
    Frank Nimphius-Oracle Member Posts: 29,689 Bronze Badge
    Hi,

if you choose the Fusion template to create the ViewController project, then by default this is set up to use ADF Faces rich client components, which don't work on mobiles. If you want to support mobile deviced then either you use the mobile client or Trinidad components in a web project.

Here's the mobile developer guide, which makes things clearer

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15523_01/web.1111/e10140/toc.htm

Frank
  • jstem1177
    Thanks a lot Frank.

This link is very very helpful.

Jan
  • lucbors
    lucbors Member Posts: 326 Bronze Badge
    Hi Jan,

Sorry that I did not reply earlier. I only saw your post today.
    I've been working with ADF mobile Client for a while and should have responded to your question.
    The ADF Rich Client Components cannot be properly rendered by the on device ADF runtime libraries.
    You really need to go for the Mobile Client project setup.

Mobile Browser however does support most of the ADF RC components

Regards Luc
  • jstem1177
    Luc,

Thank for your response,

What had me confused what the following link under "Optimizing an Oracle ADF Mobile Browser Application for BlackBerry"

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/bors-adfmobile-086867.html

Now I understand that one deals with the on-board browser and the other with the actual mobile client.

Jan
  • jstem1177
    Hello Luc,

Can you tell me if I deceide to deploy my app into the mobile browser, will I still have access to the mobile sync ?

Thanks

Jan
  • lucbors
    Hi Jan,

before it gets even more confusing, I think you should point out what you actually need for the application.

If you need an ADF mobile browser application, this application will run on a weblogic server, and will be able to connect to your database via jdbc. That is, as long as you have a connection with the weblogic server. Therefor you will not need mobile sync.

If you need an ADF mobile browser client, this application will run on a mobile device, and will use it's own on-device database. This on-device database can sync with your enterprise database. You will need access to synchronization tooling as Oracle Lite Mobile Server and Mobile Workbench.

So it is either ADF mobile browser without on-devicec db and without sync OR ADF mobile client which does need both.

Get back to me at any time with questions and I'll try to help you out.

Luc Bors
  • jstem1177
    Hello Luc,

Thanks for help with this.

We have an APEX app with APEX listener, and there is some information that I need to access in some tables that I would like to have at the palm of my hand.

Therefore I'm not using a weblogic server. And I don't foresee a design overhaul to weblogic in the future.

So I think I need to go with Mobile Client and go with the Oracle Mobile Server.

On the other hand, I was looking at the price per processor, and Mobile Server is nearly double. Could you give me a good reason to go with Mobile Server instead of Weblogic. One thing that comes to mind, is I already have my app running on APEX, so why have two app-webservers.

You input is much appreciated. Thanks once more for clearing up Mobile Browser and Mobile Client Apps and how they differ from one another.

Jan
  • jstem1177
    Hello Luc,

I was about to ask you with regards to look and feel between Mobile Client and Mobile Browser, when I found an atricle you wrote about skinning.

http://technology.amis.nl/blog/8254/adf-11g-skinning-three-ways-to-change-look-and-feel

If I decide to a Mobile Client App vs a Mobile Browser can I still use the trinidad-skins.xml? As described in this -> article http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15523_01/web.1111/e10140/skinning.htm#CACDJFGF

Also what I don't quite understand is under Mobile Client -> META-INF I have the files adf-config.xml, adfm.xml and UiApplication.jad.

To use skinning do I simply create the trinidad-skins.xml and skins.css file into this folder. Sorry I'm a complete novice to ADF Mobile Development.

Thanks Jan
  • lucbors
    Hi Jan,

With Mobile Client Apps, the way your application looks and feels is determined by the ADF Mobile Client Runtime libraries that make the application take on the look and feel of the specific device.

With Mobile Browser Apps, you use the ADF components that support Skinning. This is described in chapter 4 of the Oracle® Fusion Middleware Mobile Browser Client Developer's Guide for Oracle Application Development Framework
    11g Release 1 (11.1.1) which you can find here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15523_01/web.1111/e10140/skinning.htm#CHDCGGDJ .

Regards

Luc Bors
This discussion has been closed.