Forum Stats

• 3,871,982 Users
  • 2,266,360 Discussions
  • 7,911,018 Comments

Discussions

Major project ideas......

843789 Member Posts: 46,655 Green Ribbon
Can anyone please help suggest me some ideas for my major project ??
i am not really into embedded systems and all...
i look forward to something where i can apply my programming skills and brain.......
i dun want anyone to say to me..."you can find ready-baked codes for that anywhere"...

Comments

• forumKid2
    forumKid2 Member Posts: 383
    1) Build a fully functional online auction web site or some sort of shopping
    2) Build your own custom accounting package such as a check register
    3) Build your own search engine
    build a project idea generator...
    Been waiting for one for years. Given the number of kids on these and other forums without the mental powers to think up a project of their own there should be a big market for a random final year project generator (there's already one for generating random term papers I think, or you could do that as well, to replace all that tedious research and thinking of students having to write term papers when they'd rather play videogames).
    796262 Member Posts: 2,678
    edited Sep 13, 2010 8:51AM
    jwenting wrote:
    Been waiting for one for years. Given the number of kids on these and other forums without the mental powers to think up a project of their own there should be a big market for a random final year project generator (there's already one for generating random term papers I think, or you could do that as well, to replace all that tedious research and thinking of students having to write term papers when they'd rather play videogames).
    Yeah, I don't understand people who have no ideas about what they'd like to program. It's like an artist going around asking for ideas about what to paint, or a writer asking for story ideas.

OP- What are your interests outside of programming? Take one of them, and make a program about it. Like to cook? Write a recipe-helping program. Like to play video games? Enjoy hiking?
    jwenting wrote:
    Been waiting for one for years.
    i wonder why you just kept waiting and didn't try create one.....anyways i will be happy to do that for you........that too free !!!!!
    now am getting one more idea....
    i'll go for one topic criticism generator too......
    it'll surely help a lot of guys here......
  • Kayaman
    Kayaman Member Posts: 3,844 Silver Trophy
    Sumant_Chahar wrote:
    I seriously doubt you can computer generate such advanced snootyness as we require here.
    Why, the condescension engine alone would require several man years to complete.

Adjusts monocle
    >
    Yeah, I don't understand people who have no ideas about what they'd like to program. It's like an artist going around asking for ideas about what to paint, or a writer asking for story ideas.
    i think this is a wrong interpretation of the situation........
    its not a painter asking for ideas about what to paint.......rather its a person learning to paint asking people what should i begin with .....and thats not a faux pas.......for me atleast....
    OP- What are your interests outside of programming? Take one of them, and make a program about it. Like to cook? Write a recipe-helping program. Like to play video games? Enjoy hiking?
    thanks for the suggestion........
    Kayaman wrote:
    Sumant_Chahar wrote:
    I seriously doubt you can computer generate such advanced snootyness as we require here.
    Why, the condescension engine alone would require several man years to complete.

Adjusts monocle
    atleast i'll not join the people sitting and waiting for one.......
    Kayaman wrote:
    Sumant_Chahar wrote:
    Eliza, Jussi. http://www.jesperjuul.net/eliza/
    Kuinka voit? Eipä ole nähty aikoihin.
    796262 Member Posts: 2,678
    Sumant_Chahar wrote:
    >
    i think this is a wrong interpretation of the situation........
    its not a painter asking for ideas about what to paint.......rather its a person learning to paint asking people what should i begin with .....and thats not a faux pas.......for me atleast....
    No. Since this is your "major project" and you want to apply your programming skills, that implies that you should already have the fundamentals down. Sure, part of being a programmer (or a painter, or anything really) is that you're always learning. But once you have a grasp of the fundamentals, it seems strange to ask "well what do I do now?"

You might have the programmer's version of writer's block, but it seems more likely that either A: you don't have the skills required to apply your knowledge (in which case, go back to the basic tutorials) or B: you're too lazy to come up with your own ideas (which your poor attitude in the follow-up posts seems to suggest).
    thanks for the suggestion........
    No problem. I'd still be interested in what you decide to do, despite your attitude above.
This discussion has been closed.