Forum Stats

• 3,873,270 Users
  • 2,266,529 Discussions
  • 7,911,490 Comments

Discussions

Need programming projects before SCJP exams

843789 Member Posts: 46,655 Green Ribbon
Hi all,

I am almost done working through the book, A Programmer's Guide to Java SCJP Certification, excluding the programming exercises in it. I don't think the programming exercises given in the book are any good. However, I don't feel confident with the knowledge I gained from the book. I think I need some programming experience to solidify the knowledge. Can anyone point me to any well-defined programming exercises that I can do or open-source project that I can participate that would make me more "fluent" in Java? Thank you.

Comments

791266 Member Posts: 18,005
    What's the problem with those in the book?
    I find many of the programming exercises in the book defined very loosely. The requirements in the exercises are open to different interpretations. It is difficult to ascertain if I have achieved the intended goal of the exercises I have completed or to verified the correctness of my solutions to them. I am looking for programming exercises that are more "concretely" defined and provide ways for verification of correctness of solution if possible. Thank you.
    CandleInDark wrote:
    I find many of the programming exercises in the book defined very loosely. The requirements in the exercises are open to different interpretations.
    Welcome to programming. Everything that you'll see looks like that.
    It is difficult to ascertain if I have achieved the intended goal of the exercises I have completed or to verified the correctness of my solutions to them. I am looking for programming exercises that are more "concretely" defined and provide ways for verification of correctness of solution if possible.
    That's almost impossible to find unless another developer checks your code.
    I have no delusion of the reality in programming. However, one has to acknowledge that some programming requirements are more concretely specified than others. I have done programming exercises in C++ (quite sometime ago and in class) that are defined in few pages. Many programming exercises in the book I mentioned are given just only in a few sentences to a page. There are also programming exercises that are defined in a way that the correctness of a solution can be verified more easily.

I am a novice in Java and have not done any program for quite some time, and I am learning the language alone. I want to ask an experienced Java programmer such as you that if there are better sources available for me to get some programming experience other than the programming exercises available in this book. Is there such a resource available? Could you point me to one?

Please don't take this personally. I am just frustrated.
    CandleInDark wrote:
    I am a novice in Java and have not done any program for quite some time, and I am learning the language alone. I want to ask an experienced Java programmer such as you that if there are better sources available for me to get some programming experience other than the programming exercises available in this book. Is there such a resource available? Could you point me to one?
    Sorry, but I don't know any such resources. I learnt by writing programs / tools that I needed, or by writing things that I thought would be fun to write. Quriosity is usually a rather good teacher.

>
    Please don't take this personally.
    Take what personally? I don't see anything wrong in what you wrote.
    Yes, curiosity is a good teacher, but it doesn't teach fast. Do know any open-source project in Java that's suitable to a Java novice?
    CandleInDark wrote:
    Yes, curiosity is a good teacher, but it doesn't teach fast. Do know any open-source project in Java that's suitable to a Java novice?
    That's a common question, but I do unfortunately not know of any open source projects that are suitable for a person who is a Java novice. Open source projects are seldom well documented, and it's usually hard to grasp the general idea behind the design, and how new features should be added.

It's also seldom that people who are involved in open source projects have time to help new developers.
    796262 Member Posts: 2,678
    I agree with kajbj, one of the best ways to learn to program is to find something you're interested in, and start coding away. Make a simple game, or a music player, or anything really.

But if you want to program in a more structured, right-or-wrong kind of way, check out [Project Euler|http://projecteuler.net/].
    800281 Member Posts: 81
    Great advice. I have done a lot of the puzzles in project Euler.
    When I did the puzzles, 7 years ago, it didn't have the implementation discussions afterwards so now it's even better.
    If you like math and puzzles its a super fun way to learn programming.
    Even if you get the correct answer you can spend lots of time optimizing your algorithms.
This discussion has been closed.