Forum Stats

• 3,826,852 Users
  • 2,260,713 Discussions
  • 7,897,101 Comments

Discussions

Is there a function to encrypt/decrypt password text?

843811 Member Posts: 49,851
Hi !

I'm new to the java.security.*, so I need your help finding a class/function in the Java API useful to encrypt/decrypt some text.

For example:
Username: myTest
Password: myPassword

In this case, "myPassword" is the string used by the user, but the database engine should never use the same password of the application.
So I need a function that I can give the "myPassword" string and return some random encrypted text like "[email protected]" which I will use to set the user password for database. Of course, the decrypting process will be useful.

Any help will be appreciated,

Rodolfo

Comments

I'm new to the java.security.*,
    I would say you are new to this site, as you have not yet discovered that you can easily find the answer by using http://search.java.sun.com which will get you to http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/qow/archive/28
    Of course, the decrypting process will be useful.
    No, one should rarely need to decrypt passwords. Instead, store the encrypted password. Then, when at a later time the user enters username and password, encrypt the given password and compare the two encrypted values.

a.
    Just one more question, Is the sarcasm included in this package you've mentioned?

Thanks,

;)
    Jeez - if you're not going to help a poster, don't post. What a freaking idiot.
    - and decryption codes are useful for a great many reasons, and if you had any idea about this topic, you'd have known that - authentification isn't the only reason for ecrypting passwords.

As to answers - I have none yet - and yes, I used the search engine and I havn't found a simple and convienient answer yet. If I do find one, I'll post back here.
    - and decryption codes are useful for a great many reasons, and if you had any idea about this topic, you'd have known that - authentification isn't the only reason for ecrypting passwords.

As to answers - I have none yet - and yes, I used the search engine and I havn't found a simple and convienient answer yet. If I do find one, I'll post back here.

This discussion has been closed.