• 3,838,735 Users
  • 2,262,395 Discussions
  • 7,900,743 Comments

Discussions

Runtime Exception in Creating DataSink from Applet

815137 Member Posts: 3
edited Dec 11, 2010 1:38AM in Java Applet Development
Hi All

I am capturing screen and recording audio using JMF utilities. The application is working fine in applet viewer but as soon as I run the application from browser, a runtime exception is thrown while creating the datasink. The exact exception is "*create the DataSink: java.lang.RuntimeException: No permission to write files from applets*".

Although I am able to create files and have set read/write permissions as well.

The jar file I am using is self signed.

Please suggest what should I do.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Kuldeep
Tagged:

Answers

793415 Member Posts: 7,279 Bronze Badge
    user5450182 wrote:
    ..I am capturing screen and recording audio using JMF utilities. The application is working fine in applet viewer but as soon as I run the application from browser, a runtime exception is thrown while creating the datasink. The exact exception is "*create the DataSink: java.lang.RuntimeException: No permission to write files from applets*".
    AFAIR there is an option when installing JMF that asks if applet capture should be allowed, and it defaults to false.
    815137 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for a quick reply. But the thing is how would it help if someone else opens this application on his/her system from the browser. Would it be able to capture the user screen and generate the .mov file?

Can you please explain the root cause of this problem? I am newbie to applets and jmf so I am extremely sorry if I ask something foolish.

Thanks again.

Regards
    Kuldeep
    793415 Member Posts: 7,279 Bronze Badge
    This post is made assuming that my earlier assertion is correct.
    user5450182 wrote:
    ..the thing is how would it help if someone else opens this application on his/her system from the browser. ..
    It Wouldn't. It would however, help the end user not to be 'spied on by web pages'. It is up to you to explain to the end user about the default option and convince them to change it.
    ..Would it be able to capture the user screen and..
    No.
    ..generate the .mov file?
    Yes. No problem there.
    Can you please explain the root cause of this problem?
    Which part of my explanation are you having trouble with?
    .. I am newbie to applets and jmf ..
    That is a recipe for disaster. Applets are a PITA at the best of times. Now throw in an abandoned API on top of that, some 'high security' concerns & I can see much frustration for you.

It might make it simpler if you abandon the applet and instead use a webstart launched (J)Frame.
This discussion has been closed.