Forum Stats

• 3,855,294 Users
  • 2,264,497 Discussions
  • 7,905,965 Comments

Discussions

Should I try to start learning now, or wait for Java 7 in July?

865086 Member Posts: 2
Hello, I have no programming experience and I've always wanted to learn so I've decided to dedicate a lot of my free time to learning Java. I intend on taking courses this winter or next summer, but in the mean time I was considering getting a book or two and just focusing on learning the most fundamental basics of Java programming just to have the basics understood; however, from what I understand, Java 7 is coming out this July.

Should I just wait a few months and try to start learning after some Java 7 books are released late this summer, or do you think 6 & 7 will be similar enough that it would be ok for me to start learning the basics of Java 6 right now? As I said, I currently have no programming experience so I'm oblivious to the extent of the differences between Java versions.

Edited by: 862083 on May 27, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• DrClap
    DrClap Member Posts: 25,479
    edited May 27, 2011 7:16PM
    Start now.

To use an analogy, you shouldn't wait to take driving lessons just because the 2012 car models will be on the market in September.

In other words, programming is programming. The differences between Java 6 and Java 7 are going to be advanced things which you won't get to for several months or years anyway.
    DrClap
    865086 Member Posts: 2
    Alright, thanks. Most likely this was a dumb question, but as I said I have no knowledge of programming right now so I didn't want to be learning something if it was going to change in a few months. I'll start ASAP.
  • darrylburke
    darrylburke Member Posts: 18,007
    As Java 7 won't break backward compatibility§, everything in Java 6 will be available in Java 7.

db

§ barring borderline cases and new regression bugs
This discussion has been closed.