Forum Stats

• 3,851,567 Users
  • 2,264,000 Discussions
  • 7,904,781 Comments

Discussions

While you're at it...

munky
munky Member Posts: 2,739 Gold Trophy
Why don't we also get rid of the smilies? And perhaps user profiles - I mean, who needs one anyway? In fact, I reckon if you removed those pesky 'Post New Thread' and 'Reply' options, I'm sure performance would improve - I bet they are a massive strain on the old Jive software running on an abacus.

I've just found my Amiga 500 in the loft and realised to my delight that I had purchased the 512k RAM expansion (putting it on a par with the 500+, but with greater game and application compatibility) - you are welcome to borrow it if needed?

Another option would be to migrate us over to forums.sun.com, from what I've heard, that seemed to be pretty nifty? Please don't get rid of the 'Popular tags' feature though, as knowing that 'badgerbadgerbadger' is one of the most commonly used on this patricular forum is really handy (thanks Darryl ;) ).

On a more serious note, would it not be too much just to be informed as to what is going on, or at least get the odd reply to our questions? This is supposed to be a community forum. The performance yesterday was appalling yet we've still not heard a pipsqueak...

Cheers

Ben

Answers

• darrylburke
    darrylburke Member Posts: 18,007
    Munky wrote:
    Why don't we also get rid of the smilies?
    {noformat}++{noformat}
    Please don't get rid of the 'Popular tags' feature though, as knowing that 'badgerbadgerbadger' is one of the most commonly used on this patricular forum is really handy (thanks Darryl ;) ).
    YW
    On a more serious note
    A few more tags like those would help to get rid of the worse-than-useless 'feature'. The inanity of tags used by noobs is second only to the inappropriateness of badgerbadgerbadger. And during the few days that the tag cloud was available on the Sun forums, we had a troll copy huge amounts of classical prose into the Tags area, resulting in post headers taller than the screen height.
    would it not be too much just to be informed as to what is going on, or at least get the odd reply to our questions?
    {noformat}++{noformat}
    This is supposed to be a community forum.
    Wrong word italicised ;)
    The performance yesterday was appalling yet we've still not heard a pipsqueak...
    Used to be like that on the Sun forums till somewhere in 2007. Before my time, but I believe many old timers just left in disgust.

And then there were those who actively pursued termination of their accounts, only to join a few months later with a new nic :)

db
  • munky
    munky Member Posts: 2,739 Gold Trophy
    Okay, I'm joining in now - the badger's getting bigger! :D
  • Boneist
    Boneist Member Posts: 4,983 Gold Trophy
    Munky wrote:
    On a more serious note, would it not be too much just to be informed as to what is going on, or at least get the odd reply to our questions? This is supposed to be a community forum. The performance yesterday was appalling yet we've still not heard a pipsqueak...
    Ah, I did, via the medium of Twitter. I may or may not have written a couple of messages about the forums being down and, um, accidentally attached Justin's name on them *{;-)

I agree though, that it would be much better if we could be informed about things in advance - dodgy service isn't good, but if we knew there was a chance, we'd at least know that people were working on it and trying to mitigate it. The same applies to bits of functionality disappearing - some warning would have been nice, otherwise it makes me feel like I'm trapped in one of the levels of Super Mario Galaxy where the room disappears bit by bit!
  • jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown
    Munky wrote:
    Why don't we also get rid of the smilies? And perhaps user profiles - I mean, who needs one anyway? In fact, I reckon if you removed those pesky 'Post New Thread' and 'Reply' options, I'm sure performance would improve - I bet they are a massive strain on the old Jive software running on an abacus.
    NONONO! Need to support [url http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/smileys.html]all smileys.

>
    I've just found my Amiga 500 in the loft and realised to my delight that I had purchased the 512k RAM expansion (putting it on a par with the 500+, but with greater game and application compatibility) - you are welcome to borrow it if needed?
    Hey, I've got one of [url http://www.answers.com/topic/amiga-persecution-complex-computer-jargon]those. Now I'll be seeing Freud's brain everywhere today.

>
    Another option would be to migrate us over to forums.sun.com, from what I've heard, that seemed to be pretty nifty? Please don't get rid of the 'Popular tags' feature though, as knowing that 'badgerbadgerbadger' is one of the most commonly used on this patricular forum is really handy (thanks Darryl ;) ).
    Yeah, just what we need, unmaintainable code from someone long gone. :x (And the smileys on the faq are incompletely documented...)

Oh, it's [url http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/badgers2/]Halloweenie season.

>
    Please [url http://www.venganza.org/2010/08/futurama-sighting/]Flying Spaghetti Monster, rescue us from twitter.

>
    Cheers

Ben
  • darrylburke
    darrylburke Member Posts: 18,007
    jgarry wrote:
    Please [url http://www.venganza.org/2010/08/futurama-sighting/]Flying Spaghetti Monster, rescue us from twitter.
    Hmmm... that makes for a good tag
    403074 Member Posts: 316
    Hello Darryl,

are you still able to login to forums.sun.com or wikis.sun.com by using your Sun Online Account ?

My logins fail badly, at first the login was rejected, now I'm endlessly redirected.

Michael
  • PhHein
    PhHein Member, Moderator Posts: 7,245 Silver Trophy
    Moin Michael,

both work for me.

Phil
  • jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,844 Gold Crown
    Darryl Burke wrote:
    jgarry wrote:
    Hmmm... that makes for a good tag
    Yeah, when they introduced tags I thought some unique tag on all my posts would be superior to the search for finding my own posts, but I lost interest quickly, or something. I was happy to see interesting ones from youse guys.

I thought that tag had been used, but I guess I was just remembering some old posts. Or maybe they were part of things deleted.
This discussion has been closed.