Forum Stats

• 3,723,801 Users
  • 2,244,620 Discussions
  • 7,850,712 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doubt with PLSQL Programming

848913 Member Posts: 52
Hi All,
I had just installed Oracle Database 10g Express Edition to practice for 1Z0-144 exam which I am supposed to give after 2 months.
I was following the example from http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/tutorial/DBXETutorial/html/module8/CreateProc.htm (Tutorial I downloaded from Oracle site only).
I had written a very similar code to the one shown in example and followed every step as it was shown.
However my code is not getting compiled. It is producing a Red screen which is not editable. Also the buttons like compile, edit, download are not working..
I have the error screenshot, which I wish to share. Since there is no functionality I am unable to do so.
Let me know if I can send it directly on anybody mail id.

regards
kushal

Answers

75407 Member Posts: 2,237
    845910 wrote:
    Hi All,
    I had just installed Oracle Database 10g Express Edition to practice for 1Z0-144 exam which I am supposed to give after 2 months.
    I was following the example from http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/tutorial/DBXETutorial/html/module8/CreateProc.htm (Tutorial I downloaded from Oracle site only).
    I had written a very similar code to the one shown in example and followed every step as it was shown.
    However my code is not getting compiled. It is producing a Red screen which is not editable. Also the buttons like compile, edit, download are not working..
    I have the error screenshot, which I wish to share. Since there is no functionality I am unable to do so.
    Let me know if I can send it directly on anybody mail id.

regards
    kushal
    This is more for the Pl/SQL forum... or possibly the XE forum.

If you are looking to get certified I would tend to download sql-developer and use that ... though thre is no particular reason for the tool you are used (which looks like the Oracle Application Express Interfact would have a problem.
    the main reason to use oracle 10g express edition was because it contained sample schema, on which newbies like me can practice.
    Does sql developer also has a similar ready made shema for practicing.
    I just want this info before I start downloading the same.

regards and thanks
    kushal
  • JustinCave
    JustinCave Member Posts: 30,293 Gold Crown
    The express edition of 10g is a version of the database. It has sample schemas.

SQL Developer is a GUI for developing PL/SQL code. It connects to your 10g express edition database. It does not have any data, it's just an IDE.

Justin
    OK thanks for your inputs.

So is there any other tool IDE which newbies can use to learn Pl/SQL, where in they are supplied with in-built schema.
    These sample schema are very useful because in such cases we can directly login and start coding because all the tables and dependencies already exist.
    If I start using SQL developer than first I will have to construct a database schema, containing tables etc. before I can start implementing some logic on it.
  • JustinCave
    JustinCave Member Posts: 30,293 Gold Crown
    Schemas exist in databases.
    IDEs connect with databases.

Any version of Oracle (including XE) ships with sample schemas that you can install.
    Any IDE can connect to any database. Once connected to the database, any IDE can interact with whatever sample schemas are installed. IDEs do not contain schemas. They do not have data.

bigdelboy's suggestion was that you download SQL Developer and use that with the XE database that you already installed.

Justin
This discussion has been closed.